Open fire (Camp fire) green wood experiment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

owingsia

Aug 12, 2013
Saluda VA
Thought I would share this to illustrate a point about burning green/ wet wood in our stoves.
(Cant post pics because the boyscout troop did not allow pictures)

So the other day we had a cook out for our church boyscout troop. I cook with wood in an open pit BBQ.
I have wood for this off my own land that I fell cut and split etc... (Rather serious about my outdoor cooking. Cooked a full turkey for Thanksgiving on an open fire).

The boys were doing survival work and the scout master asked if they could use our land and BBQ pit.

The plan was to talk about camp fires for cooking and using wood. Most of the boys agreed that anyone including a freshly cut down tree would burn well. Here is how it went.

We went out and found a nice gum and pine tree to cut down.

We brought back some rounds of each tree and put them in the fire. They tried their best to get this wood going using kindling they found etc... after about 45 min of nothing they thought it should be split.... so we split some wood. This wood never burned this way.
We then end and found dead wood (all pine and tulip poplar) This stuff was hard to get going (been raining) but the pine did light and start to burn. Took huge amounts of kindling (all dead branches like you would find if you were lost in the woods) What we got was a very cool smokey fire with huge amounts of steam that you could see along the edges of the concrete pit. The sides of my pit started to blacken up as well. I had the boys hold their hands over the grill to find the hot spots. They were shocked at how close they could get their hands to the grill without being so hot they pulled their hands back.

After this burned down and turned into small flames and coals you could practically touch the grill with your hands.

I asked what they thought would happen if I threw a few (4-5 20 inch half splits from a 18 inch tree) splits that have been stacked for a little over a year (pine). They said about the same as the fire they just had. I went and got the splits tossed them on the coals and they went up great. The fire got so dang hot you didnt want to put your hand over the grill even at 2 feet over the grill it was hot. This stuff cleaned the side of the pit off for me and we brought out some steak for everyone. Cooked up really fast and as the fire died the coals were still so hot that you could feel that it was hotter than the wet wood fire with flames.

After this the scout leader exclaimed "I will never burn wet wood in my stove again! WOW!"

Hey any excuse to BBQ works for me. Not sure what the kids got out of it other than some good food but i had fun.

I bet that turkey tasted good - as did the steaks!

Oh man it was good.

I am not sure I will do another turkey on the grill. I mean it tasted so good but tending an open flame for 4 hours strait with no break was tough.

I've purposely burned green pecan in my smoker (I like the flavor). The amount of creosote that builds in there is alarming. Granted, a smoker is running around 220 degrees and is pretty much a perfect place to create creosote but I would imagine the conditions in a flue at 16' above the firebox would be very similar.

Owingsia, that was about as perfect of a demonstration that anyone could do. My hat is off to you and methinks not only the scout leader but all those scouts learned a lesson they will never forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.