open fireplace in rental property

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starfire

Apr 17, 2009
Wellington, New Zealand
th situation is my partner and I are about to move, the house we are looking at renting has an open fire place, obviously we aren't going to put an insert or anything in as its not our house and we only plan on being there for a year or so. So the question is whats the best way to get the most heat out of the fireplace without spending to much (except for wood obviously) or is it best just to not use it at all and use elctric oil finn heaters(what we have and what I prefere with having pets), and how can i stop all the heat disapearing up the chimney if i dont use it?

many thanks in advance

Edited because i cant spell

You'll probably find that an open fireplace will generate a strong draft and, therefore, end up sending more heat up the chimney than it really generates. They are, however, nice to look at. Also, before you burn, make sure the owner has had the chimney swept relatively recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.