Opinion on Harman door rope gasket ends

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chemistrynut

Jan 20, 2014
Upstate, NY
Just replaced my first Harman door gasket and had a question regarding where the two ends meet..the gasket install went well and I gave myself a little extra rope (no pun intended) at the end to tuck into the channel where the two pieces meet (about 3/4"), but despite my best efforts, I did get some fraying between the two ends and was second guessing myself as to how good the seal will be up there. I did see where some people recommended putting some RTV silicone between the two ends as a sort of glue to remedy that so I did have some black Hi-Temp silicone (rated up to 590 deg F) and dabbed it on the two ends and pushed it in the channel a little more. It's now got a piece of saran wrap over it and the door is lightly closed while it sets. My question..is the 590 degree silicone good enough or should I have used something rated higher? I have some gasket cement rated at 2000 degrees but wanted to use something a little more plyable as I didn't want the ends to be rock hard from the cement. Any recommendations as to if this will be OK or if I need to go hotter with the silicone is welcomed (or should I just pull the gasket and start over). Thanks!

I always start & end my door gaskets BETWEEN the hinges. That is the tightest part of the seal.
A little fraying is common & as long as the ends butt up tightly, the seal should be good.
I have NEVER put adhesive of any kind between the ends.

Reactions: Chemistrynut