Opinion on Harman PB105 Outside Temp Sensor???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pearlset79

Nov 19, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
Was wondering do people believe that this actually saves on pellet consumption?? Basically is it better to have lower temp water circulating longer through your home to heat it up when it is warmer outside, or is it better to have a higher temp (180 degrees for me) circulating but for a less amount of time because the higher the water temp the faster a room or the house will heat up. would love to hear the opinions of those individuals who have experience with using/not using this. currently i have mine unhooked and am trying my own experiment. thanks for any and all opinions.....

Pearl,

I have always used the OAT sensor on my PB105 so I can't tell you if I've saved on my pellet usage. I can tell you that for 4 years I used approximately 900 gallons of oil at the duplex my wife and I own and last year I installed an outdoor reset for my Buderus boiler and our oil consumption dropped to 750 gallons and last year was colder than the year before.

The outdoor reset for my oil boiler works basically the same way as it does for the PB105 but it is programmable and I have it set up to prevent the boiler from coming on if the outdoor temp is above 60 degrees unless the call for heat is from the hot water tank.

Basically what I'm trying to say is I'm pretty sure that by using the OAT you are saving on your pellet usage.

My brother is a master plumber and he recommended that I use the OAT on my pellet boiler and he's also the person who installed the outdoor reset on my oil boiler.

Andy

thanks for the reply...hoping to hear from others too....i've seen you on this forum and the i burn pellets one and you always have wonderful info....here's to happy burning this winter!!!! ha ha

Pearl,

I too have not tried running my boiler without the OAT sensor connector. When I had first installed the boiler, I had run it a couple of days without it and it seemed that the boiler would overshoot the high temp setting and my overheat zone would kick in. After I connected the sensor, the overheat problems went away.

What version of control board are you using? I know the newest versions have their sensor calibrated off of 20*F, not 0*F. I don't know if it would make that much of a difference or not.

Please keep us updated with what you find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.