Opinions on older insert, please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

McFarnell

Jan 7, 2017
Washington
Hi,

I have an Arrow Fireplace insert, probably from the 70's or 80's, as my house was built in 1976. It says model 203408 on it. I pulled the insert out last year, and noticed it is not connected to the chimney at all - it was just put into the fireplace opening and that's it.

I really like the insert - it is easy to control and heats the house very well. It's very efficient.

However, I've read that no connection to the chimney can be dangerous and hard to clean.

So I've called around, and this is what I've found:
  • Inserts prior to the '90s are not up to code, so legally contractors or chimney sweeps cannot install a liner for me
  • Since it's not up to code, chimney sweeps won't clean the chimney either, for liability reasons
  • I need the chimney cleaned before I could do a DIY liner install
  • If I bought a new insert from a local shop, the cheapest one is $1899 + 495 for a 6" liner kit + $800 labor to install
  • I can buy the 8" liner for $700 from the local shop and do it myself, but I would still need the chimney cleaned first
I feel like I'm stuck. I really like the insert and it works very efficiently and heats the house great.

What is your opinion? Would I be better off / safer to just buy a new insert? Are newer inserts really better? A lot of times things built in the old days are higher quality than the new ones.

Or should I try to clean the chimney and install a liner myself? I have quite a bit of experience, and my dad would help me - he built his own house, chimney, electrical, plumbing, etc all himself.

Thanks for any advice or opinions.

Hi,

I have an Arrow Fireplace insert, probably from the 70's or 80's, as my house was built in 1976. It says model 203408 on it. I pulled the insert out last year, and noticed it is not connected to the chimney at all - it was just put into the fireplace opening and that's it.

I really like the insert - it is easy to control and heats the house very well. It's very efficient.

However, I've read that no connection to the chimney can be dangerous and hard to clean.

So I've called around, and this is what I've found:
  • Inserts prior to the '90s are not up to code, so legally contractors or chimney sweeps cannot install a liner for me
  • Since it's not up to code, chimney sweeps won't clean the chimney either, for liability reasons
  • I need the chimney cleaned before I could do a DIY liner install
  • If I bought a new insert from a local shop, the cheapest one is $1899 + 495 for a 6" liner kit + $800 labor to install
  • I can buy the 8" liner for $700 from the local shop and do it myself, but I would still need the chimney cleaned first
I feel like I'm stuck. I really like the insert and it works very efficiently and heats the house great.

What is your opinion? Would I be better off / safer to just buy a new insert? Are newer inserts really better? A lot of times things built in the old days are higher quality than the new ones.

Or should I try to clean the chimney and install a liner myself? I have quite a bit of experience, and my dad would help me - he built his own house, chimney, electrical, plumbing, etc all himself.

Thanks for any advice or opinions.

Why not pull the insert, store it in the garage, then call the chimney sweep to clean the chimney. Then you can do your liner install yourself

Yes, that is a great idea. If I did use the old insert and installed the liner myself, do you think a chimney sweep would clean it for me next year? Or is it still a problem since it is an old insert?

With a liner, would I need to call a chimney sweep, or could I just run a brush through it myself?

Are older inserts/stoves really unsafe? Or is it just legal reasons that chimney sweeps won’t help me?
They are dirty, but not necessarily unsafe if installed with a proper connection or liner and burning good dry wood. The question is, how much life is there left in the old Arrow? Brother Bart had an old Sierra insert that heated their place for umpteen years. He put a proper liner on it and the stove burned too hot and burned the box.

question on my Country Comfort insert (late 80's) installed in a CA home (1962) with heatilator box in fireplace. The insert is installed into the original firebox without a flue liner. It has a flat plate that sits on top of the stove to fill the gap so exhaust gasses do not come around the body of the insert and seal up the front face with insulation. Cleaning has always been easy, I just have to slide the insert out to clean the chimney and the mess. I have had no problems with draft or smoke in home. I still get heat from the original heatilator as the exhaust gasses are still in the upper portion of the heat box and tubes. Am I being naïve or reckless with this arrangement? Also, I would like to install a catalytic cleaner at the round opening on top of the stove. Would this be helpful in making it burn even cleaner? Is there a downside to the performance of the stove and will the catalytic cleaner light off on it's own. There is no bypass damper. Thanks, Kevin