Opinions on Pacific Energy ash doors?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodstove22

Oct 30, 2021
WV
Moved here from main forum:
We had a Vista LE installed last year and am interested in others experience with the ash door performance/usefulness and installation. We may add one to the unit. Thoughts? Worthwhile addon? Easy to install? As for the our experience with the stove its been really nice! I have nothing to compare it to, but it has been heating our light to modestly insulated/ventilated 400sqft space really well. Does seem to eat the wood pretty fast, but as we get more experience with it we'll likely refine the burn on it with our air management and wood selection.

I used the ashdoor/pan on our stove twice. Have not used it for over a decade now. It's easier just to shovel out the ash and with care, not much messier. Our ashpan now serves as a bun warmer.

I used the ashdoor/pan on our stove twice. Have not used it for over a decade now. It's easier just to shovel out the ash and with care, not much messier. Our ashpan now serves as a bun warmer.
Thanks for the response. I am expecting similar additional comments but wanted to ask. Bun warmer sounds nice though! My wife was just introduced to cast iron mountain pie makers which are basically a hand pie mould on a stick. Trying to make the most of the stove while not having a range or cooktop at the moment.

My neighbor has a brand new PE Super 27 and so far he likes the ash pan. When we installed it I wasn’t sure the ash dump handle was right. There was no way to lock it, you have to pull it out with one hand and rake the ash into the pan with the other. I was trying to think of a mod to make that easier but my neighbor says it works fine for him as is.

I think I'm the only crazy one here who likes the ash door. I got it because I have a baby and a toddler and I didn't want to spew ash in the air when taking it out. Yes, the mechanism could be better (like locking the lever), but in the end it works for me. Certainly not as terrible as people make it out to be.

Reactions: Todd
I haven't used mine yet for fear a cosl will get jammed in there. It looks convenient though. I just shovel out carefully. I hate when you bump the shovel accidentally and ash goes everywhere though.