Opinions on stove pipe placement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mattrebel

Nov 25, 2021
Maine
Hello,

First time poster here. I built a small cabin (14X20) with 12 to12 (45 degree) roof and a half loft. The stove pipe is going through my loft joists switching to chimney pipe in accordance to the code, then going through my roof rafters. I’m pretty sure I have all the correct adapters and boxes since I bought it all from a local store.

Problem is roof rafters are 24 inch spacing and loft is 16 inch. The openings do not line up in the spot I want to put the stove and since it’s a very small space I really do not want to just move the stove over. I thought of 3 options. Obviously the best option would be changing the direction of the pipe after it went through the loft but I’m not sure if that is possible since it needs to turn a lot in such a small space. Also I’m thinking that option is quite expensive.

Note: I am aware that I put in the loft box incorrectly in the photo but it’s just to show how much space I have in the loft and the amount of offset needed.

Note 2: with the floor insulation added in the future the bottom of the loft joists would be about 7.25 feet off the first floor.

Appreciate the help. I am quite cold at this point.

71161AE3-B349-4F32-994E-D9A014BE4498.jpeg 71055D9D-8A84-4CD3-B719-287A0A8CA1F9.jpeg CE07CDBB-7A2D-4F81-AF64-BF3AB4EBC4CA.jpeg D0DF39F9-BB88-4C7C-8D8B-06F6D3766A18.jpeg 87DA961E-1525-4CF2-90BD-69889DFDA790.jpeg

Welcome. If possible, having the chimney exit closer to the roof peak is often more desirable. If that route is taken, work with the offset tables provided by the chimney pipe maker. Note that class A chimney can have no greater that a 30º angle in it and the elbows need to be secured by strapping.

The middle diagram is good too. I'm not fond of adjustable elbows. Work with 45º elbows and an offset table for 6" stovepipe.

The last diagram is the least desirable. Long horizontal runs are to be avoided. And it will be hard to clean.

Hey thanks! Why don’t you like adjustable elbows? They are annoying or just don’t do a good job? I think I’m going to do the middle option so I don’t have to mess with chimney elbows. And sadly I want to go towards the wall because it will be most space efficient. I assume roof brackets can fix the issue of being far from the peak?

Also, I’m a bit confused about going through the loft. I have the 24 inch box going through but it has to be 9 inches past the loft joists and then those joists must be protected with sheet metal? Most pictures I see online have the box nearly flush with the ceiling, but the guy at the hardware store says it needs to go 18inches down from the joists for single wall pipe (9inches if protected, I’ve researched )