Optimal flue temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokinbubba

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2019
Central Ohio
Has anyone ever measured their exhaust gas temps to insure your combustion air feed is correct? How would one know if I they sending too much heat up the pipe? It would be easy to measure flue temps outside with a direct vent. I know there are lots of variables. pellet quality being one. But one should be able to measure convection air and exhaust air and have an idea but how much is too much? I know I am over thinking this a LOT. Asking for a friend...

To me is how efficient your heat exchanger is
not what your exhaust temp is and how fast the
heat is being removed from the stove into the room
The hotter the fire the hotter your exhaust temp will be
Just my 2 cents worth or is it now a nickel?
No Penneys in Canada

I am guessing the companies that build the stoves do much of that research.

I am thinking to get the best information, you need to attach a temp sensor to the air intake, then a Thermocoupler in the combustion chamber to get the best data. If you have OAK should also have a room temp sensor.

Mine is currently set up with a combustion and air intake sensor for future data acquisitions. Still not done with everything, it is a good winter project.

Attachments

• IMG_20191218_132120724.jpg
    IMG_20191218_132120724.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 81
Would it be safe to assume that the lower the exhaust temp the better as long as you have a proper burn??
I think some testing on my part is in order...

Im an old Oil heat guy and the techs that tuned my furnace had a combustion meter that drew in flue gasses and depending on the rich/leaness shown on the test paper, they would adjust the F/A ratio. I understand these gauges are all digital now Bacharac maybe but way expensive for the homeowner. Either way, it would be nice to insure that your f/a ratio is correct....

Im an old Oil heat guy and the techs that tuned my furnace had a combustion meter that drew in flue gasses and depending on the rich/leaness shown on the test paper, they would adjust the F/A ratio. I understand these gauges are all digital now Bacharac maybe but way expensive for the homeowner. Either way, it would be nice to insure that your f/a ratio is correct....
So every time you turn the heat up or down (pellet feed )
get out the meter and Adj. the fuel/air mixture !!!!!

I know, I am over thinking things... This would be used to set the idle only since the three lower buttons have no effect on heat ranges above 2. I have a 2 auger model. On a stat, I run on heat1 blower5 most of the time so it is just putting along. I figure if it ain't broke, I WILL fix it. Its a sickness.

Leave it go. Englanders have the programming in a prom so that cannot be changed. Playing with the burn pot and plate we have already figured out a long time ago. So not much more adjustments can be made. Happy testing ;)

Ha Ha he said leave it go.... My wife tells me that all the time. You know the sickness I speak of >>