Optimum flue temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

flati

Feb 28, 2018
Ohio
Running a Buck 74 wood burner using a double wall inside stove pipe with a probe type thermometer drilled at 18" above the stove. Its showing a optimum range between 300 and 800 degrees if I remember correctly. Just curious as to what flue temp you guys feel is the best to try to operate at? Thank you!

Running a Buck 74 wood burner using a double wall inside stove pipe with a probe type thermometer drilled at 18" above the stove. Its showing a optimum range between 300 and 800 degrees if I remember correctly. Just curious as to what flue temp you guys feel is the best to try to operate at? Thank you!
As low as possible in that range while still making enough heat to do what you want with the stove

I have a probe type temp gauge on my double wall stove pipe at 19” and when I hit about 600 i start shutting down the stove air. Temps in the stove rise, but the stove pipe begins to cool off at that point to the low end of the optimal range.
3b429ab23ba9d77d875768c982edcd43.jpg

Reactions: mark cline
I have a probe type temp gauge on my double wall stove pipe at 19” and when I hit about 600 i start shutting down the stove air. Temps in the stove rise, but the stove pipe begins to cool off at that point to the low end of the optimal range.
View attachment 225564

AL,

That's where I've been trying to keep it, just inside the orange. If I walk outside and look at the chimney I see no smoke, anything less and I start seeing smoke.

AL,

That's where I've been trying to keep it, just inside the orange. If I walk outside and look at the chimney I see no smoke, anything less and I start seeing smoke.

Sounds like you are doing it right then! I always get a little smoke at startup, but once up to temp, it only has heat vapor.