Optimum Split Size (diameter)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I figure I'll start this year's thread on optimum split size.
What prompted me to do this is that I am finally stacking the 4 split cords delivered this spring to be used maybe in 2 years.
The splits are pretty large. There is some mixing of smaller ones, but they are generally on the large side so far.
I've had some small (almost to a fault) splits that I've done myself in the past as well.
The way I'm looking at it the larger split size requires less effort (cost) to split and to handle and move around and to stack and creates less debris and the smaller size dries faster and lights up and burns easier.

I'm thinking the optimum is a mix.
Assuming it dries okay, which it should in a couple of years, I guess I can split some smaller with the electric splitter in the garage if I had to.

It's hardwood, looking like mostly oak and a good deal at 150 per.

I have to say, it's looking pretty dry already just from laying around just as it was dumped, but the area that is in contact with the ground is large.

I split everything huge anymore. A night burn for me in the 30 is three big ones N/S and if I need smaller for some reason I just fire the splitter and make'em. Or actually every once in a while lose my mind and pick up a maul.

Easier than trying to glue little ones back together.

Correct me if im wrong. But dont small splits burn faster, therefore be less efficient?

In the spring when I was splitting I was splitting for this year so I split small.(3x3 or 3x4) When I started working on what I thought would be next years wood I left a lot of it on the bigger side figuring I can always make the splits smaller in the future. Of course I'm new to this so after I figure out what the stove likes I'll probably have to adjust my split sizes.

rdust said:
In the spring when I was splitting I was splitting for this year so I split small.(3x3 or 3x4) When I started working on what I thought would be next years wood I left a lot of it on the bigger side figuring I can always make the splits smaller in the future. Of course I'm new to this so after I figure out what the stove likes I'll probably have to adjust my split sizes.

I do the same as rdust except I apply his logic to:
Small for the second half of next year.
Large for 2 or more years out.

If I cannot grab a split by the end with one hand and lift it easily, the piece gets split again. Note a have a smaller stove and cannot take the behemoths that BB is referencing.

I split mostly larger, but some smaller too. IMO every different size (and species) has its place in my furnace. I use smaller splits when getting fires going, and in the early morning when I am in a hurry and need to warm the house up for when everyone else gets up.

but the bigger the better for overnights. I have some sugar maple splits that I have a hard time picking up.

3770709494_b1c284206f.jpg

These size splits are a lot smaller than we used in the old smoke dragon. But they work out well in the QF4300. Using them in an established fire when we're awake and in and about the house 3 of these splits in different burn stages will get us to 450-600*. That's the comfort zone for our 3k house.

At night or when we leave the house these smaller splits stuff more compactly in the stove and still burn well at a slower rate.

Having used larger 2 handed splits for so many years it's not easy adapting to smaller splits. But this works for us...your mileage may vary.

Personally I think this stove is undersized for our house but was over ruled and now must live in the world as it exists. Anyone else with a 3k house I would advise you to get the larger QF5700 or its 3+cu ft fire box alternative.

Most folks buy a stove to heat their entire house. One of the great things to me about using a wood stove is that it's NOT even heat all through the house. Many times I love retreating to more cooler parts of the house while my wife can bask in the heat she demands...if she's happy I'm happy.

Jamess67 said:
Correct me if im wrong. But dont small splits burn faster, therefore be less efficient?

For those of us burning gasifiers w/storage faster is better, usually. A fast hot fire is the most efficient way for me to get the BTU's into my tanks. So I split quite small. My favorite is when I have a large round (18" or so) and I will split it into 2" slabs. And then split those in half. That's some good burning wood for me....

myzamboni said:
If I cannot grab a split by the end with one hand and lift it easily, the piece gets split again. Note a have a smaller stove and cannot take the behemoths that BB is referencing.

Yep. Hand size is just about perfect for the F3.

velvetfoot said:
I'm thinking the optimum is a mix.
That's how I do it. I split everything right down to 2 inch rounds. My wood guy brings me a variety of sizes mostly between 4" and 16". The largest I split as around 6 inches on the face. I try to mix the sizes as I stack so that I have what I need when I need it but I also have some choice of where I take from. If I have too many large and no small pieces at a given time, I re-split as needed.

My philosophy is that variety is the spice of life . . . so I have some smalls splits and large splits. Small ones for those days I need to get the fire up and running and when I'm home in the evenings or weekends . . . and large splits for the overnights. I have found that I prefer packing a lot of smaller splits into the firebox rather than just a few large splits since it tends to be easier to load that way and fill up more of the firebox.

I'd say it depends on your stove or furance.I keep them large if seasoning time isnt an issue

Like savageactor7, we used to have larger splits and rounds than we use now. It is much easier to pack the firebox with smaller splits but the larger ones hold the fire longer. Therefore, at night, one or two large splits go into the stove. I place these towards the rear of the stove then pack smaller splits however they will fit.

The rule of thumb is large splits or rounds for holding fire; small splits for hotter and quicker fire. That is why a mix works so well.

Also, it will depend upon how long you have let your wood age, or season. If you have the 2 or 3 years that is ideal to store your wood before burning, then having large splits or rounds is not a problem for drying them. Some think I am crazy for having so much wood on hand (7 years) but it works extremely well. Also, having that much wood on hand, if something happens where I can't cut some winter we have no problem at all as we have our fuel on hand and ready to burn. The wife can take it from there! lol

I split mainly large splits. I never used to split rounds under 10 inches diameter, but now I do split anything over 4 inches. They were taking too long to dry. I like the larger splits for the same reasons everyone else gave above, long night time burns. I do notice that they put out more heat if there is more than one piece in there. I have been known to put a log in that does not really fit and have to run outside with it burning already to chop a piece off. My wife still gets a laugh out of that. Mostly during the day I use medium pieces, 4-6" X 8 inches or so. Large pieces are 10 X 10.

I used to try to find large dealers who would let me pick from the pile and load my truck myself because I prefer larger splits. But after two years of that I realized that all the time, driving and work wasn't worth it so I started having it delivered and taking what I got. This year I ordered from a new guy and one of the questions he asked me was "how large (diameter) do you want your splits?". I couldn't believe it. So I tell him let's try 8" and two weeks later I had three full cords of beautiful clean, large chunks of hardwood sitting in my yard. Not everything is that big but that was the max size and there are a lot of them. We'll see how the actual burning experience goes next year when I begin to use them, I do worry about it being a bit harder to load the stove and about having slower overall burns but I think I will be able to live with it. if not then I will order some smaller next time and mix them up.

Most of my splits are 18-20 inches long and just big enough for my wife to pick up with one hand. If the split is big enough that it takes 2 hands to lift, it's too big. She does most the feeding - so I cater the split sizes to her. I do keep some big splits - we call them night night logs - for longer over night burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.