Options to replace indoor "parallel" wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LenR

Sep 10, 2017
Cooper County Missouri
I have a 1983(?) Devonshire indoor wood furnace. Extra credit if you have ever heard of that brand! It is installed in parallel with a electric downdraft furnace that provides the blowers and backup heat and has AC coils above the wood furnace. It is in the basement, has a thermostat to open the draft door and limit switch to operate the blowers. It works OK, but the doors and latches are wearing out, I have repaired several minor parts on the latches. One unexpected feature is that the amount of rising heat keeps the house warm 80% of the time without ever running the blowers. It has an 8" pipe to tile/masonry chimney.

It seems that many of the add-on furnaces don't have thermostat control.

I suspect that the flue would over draft modern furnaces and probably need a barometric damper, but that seems to be counter to a hot flue and air infiltration.

I've considered an OWB, but I feel like I'd use more wood than this antique.

Firewood isn't a problem now, I can cut all I need on our land, but I'm 60.

This setup will work without power. I remove the filter cover and put a toothpick in the draft door, that setups a slow controlled burn.

We also have a conventional fireplace w/o doors that we used for mental health, not for serious heat when it's much below 35F.

It is appealing to get the "mess" out of the basement, but I don't like the thought of loading a furnace in the rain or snow. If I had an OWB, I would want a cover over it.

Thanks for any ideas