Orange flame color on gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lee Batchelor

Mar 18, 2016
Ontario, Canada.
Hi all. Hope everyone is well and Covid free.

My 20 year old Insta Flame Majestic gas fireplace in the basement shows a steady orange flame. As I understand it, the flame can start out that color but should be blue with orange tips after a short time. I want to correct it. I'm not a licensed gas guy (obviously) but I have replaced thermopiles and thermocouples. I've also cleaned burners, added blower fans, and adjusted flames. I know the basics so I don't get killed 🙃.

I thought I would let the stove cool down, turn off the pilot, and then pull the logs and burner out to make sure it's clean. I've done this before and never noticed any adjustments to the air intake end of the burner. This stove is in the basement and is vented through a wall with a direct vent. There is horizontal run of about 6 feet before the exhaust vents to a garden area. The end of the vent is about 1 foot away from a cedar bush. I keep it well trimmed all year. I wonder if something has plugged the outer sleeve of the direct vent, such as garden debris or something else. If so, that's not an easy fix.

Any suggestions? Many thanks.

Edit
The model is FSDV32 RN

Last edited:
What is the air shutter setting? It may be closed too much. Needs more air in the ATF mix…
Hi Bob,
Thanks for chiming in. Your comment sounds right. I've worked on a lot of carburetors and understand the concept of fuel/air mixture. Where would I find that setting on this stove? It seems the different stoves have different ways of setting the mixture. I've had the burner out but don't see any adjusters on the end where the gas is fed. My Vermont Castings stove has adjusters in that position. Thanks again!

Isn’t it shown in your owner’s manual? There is usually a mechanism to open/close the shutter in the valve cavity.