Ordered my first truckload of Rice and Nut Coal today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
We have been getting hammered with coal requests this year and I think with the high prices of wood pellets I better adjust before being left out in the cold. I think I might be jumping the fence and spending some time on this forum more than I have been.

What I would like to know is how many tons of coal have you coal burners been using in a season.

Thanks
Eric

I am in the heart of anthracite coal country here.
I know a bunch of people with coal stoves, and more popularly coal furnaces, including the in-laws.

2-4 tons would be the average. Very few people use 5+ tons if my memory is correct.

The best story with the coal stoves is one of the coal types is not useable in the coal power plants or furnaces. I wish I could remember which. I know that Reading Stoves makes a stove for the coal size they can't sell to anybody else. The coal size I'm talking about comes out of the breaker screenings no matter what. The miner's don't delibrately produce that size.

Back when I was burning coal I used a little over 3 ton in a 1200 sq. foot rancher, living near the mason/dixon line, gettysburg, pa.

Reading appears to have a program all set -- suggested stoves, parts, fuels to stock

Status
Not open for further replies.