Oregon travel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Got out the VW camper and we buzzed around Western OR this week. It's a beautiful state with a great park system. Here are some cell phone shots. I haven't downloaded the camera shots yet.

Silver Falls (136ft) IMAG0006.jpg Crater LakeCrater lake.jpg Rogue River IMAG0018_BURST002_COVER.jpg IMAG0071.jpg

PS: If you double-click on the Silver Falls picture you will see a railing behind the falls. You can walk behind it and feel very small.

I agree it is a beautiful state. Sad that we've only been through your state one time but we hope to return one of these days.

I ended up in Astoria a week ago hoping to make it down to Tillamook but didn't make it. Got a late start and out of time.
Did get as far as Smuggler's Cove . It was raining kinda hard at times though.

Yes, it rained on an off hard at times from Reedsport to Lincoln City for a couple days. We ended up staying in a yurt one night at Umpqua lighthouse. Fortunately by the time we made Cannon Beach it started clearing up and getting sunny.

We stopped in Astoria to visit the Columbia River Maritime museum. It is an impressive and well done history of the Columbia, even if through white guys eyes. Most impressive was the info and videos on the rescue operations at the Columbia bar. It is considered one of the most hazardous navigation obstacles in the world. The rescue center performs 400-600 rescues a year here. My son exclaimed "I had no idea the Columbia Bar was so bad ass.". It certainly deserves that title.

http://www.crmm.org/

Reactions: ScotO
Beautiful pics, BG. I am a waterfall junkie.....anyone ever jumped off of that big boy?? I was jumping at Eagle Cliff Falls in NY State last summer from around halfway up, but didn't go to the top as the water was very low and in the even that the jump didn't kill me, my wife would have......

http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/eaglesnest.shtml

I don't think anyone has, at that height it would probably be suicide. Here is the upper north falls in the same park at 67ft.
IMG_1533web.jpg and some other roadside attractions like this tour bus. IMAG0017_web.jpg Umpqua River IMG_1547web.jpg

Retired Columbia Rescue boat whose craft and crew have saved a lot of lives. IMG_1574web.jpg And the replacement boat: 47ftmlbmedium.jpg

Here are some shots of the Columbia Bar shot off the museum video by someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.