Orley woodstove info/Model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

primus

Aug 24, 2013
Santa Cruz Ca
Hi all,
I am new to your site and have been enjoying learning about wood stoves and burning wood. I am hoping somebody here could tell me about this old Orley wood stove I plan on using as a firebox for a barbecue smoker project. I bought it from a used tools shop here in Santa Cruz and it is in near perfect condition and has seen little use. I had it bead blasted and gave it a coat of high temp paint. What I know so far is that these things are built like tanks and put out a lot of heat.
Hoping someone could tell me what model/year it is? and also if I will be ruining something that is vintage/collectible. From what I have read most people think these things are ugly but my fiance and I both love it' 100_0943.JPG

Attachments

• 100_0947.JPG
    100_0947.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 1,494
It is a tank and yes, they really heat, while eating a lot of wood in the process. Basically it's a welded steel barrel stove. They are pretty common, usually with a window to see the burn. There's no antique value that I know of. Check with your local authority to see if this stove is still permissible to burn in CA. In OR and WA it is not.

Hi Begreen, I will be burning this stove outside as the firebox for an Offset BBQ Smoker. The idea is to get the smoke and heat out of the wood stove and into the cook chamber.. If you look at the second pic you can see the compressor tank that stove will be attached to.

For a smoker a low grate would be a good idea. That sucker should make a great firebox for a smoker. A little classier than my redneck meat smoker.

brownie smoker.JPG

BrotherBart that smoker is awesome! I passed up a free fireproof file cabinet awhile back and now I am kicking myself!
My Orley has a baffle in front of the chimney outlet and I am wondering if I will need to cut it out for better heat flow?

Attachments

• 100_0936.JPG
    100_0936.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 827
Leave the baffle in. It will hold down flame getting into the smoker box.

Status
Not open for further replies.