Osage Orange, my new favorite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
woodchip said:
basswidow said:
Badfish740 said:
I have a plain white F-350 XL (Work package-no hubcaps, etc...) so when I get out and start sawing people just assume I'm part of a road crew ;)

If you set out some orange cones and wear an orange safety vest - this also makes it believable. Don't ask me how I know this.

Several years ago a tree came down in the park near our house. Knowing how slow the council are to react, I put on some green overalls (our local council workers wear green overalls), and just went and bucked it and bought it in. The only problem I encountered was an old woman walking her dog who was moaning about how the council were wasting her taxes and how I ought to be out in the street clearing leaves as they were dangerous to old people...... I just said yes mam, I'd pass it on......... ;-)

:lol: Perfect.

ksburner said:
I came across a bunch of old hedgeposts (Osage Orange) out in our pasture my grandfather must have piled up 25+ years ago. I brought them up and cut them up over the weekend. Needless to say, they were a little tough on the chains. I started splitting it last night and some of them made the 37 ton splitter groan a bit! It should end up being a half a cord or better when it is all split up. I put a moisture tester to a few of the pieces and it did not move off of 0%. I don't think I will have to worry about it being too wet for this Winter.

Don't load your stove up with too much 0% moisture content wood. Runaway fire is a risk and wood that dry can foul your chimney worse than wet wood. Mix it with other wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.