Osage Orange

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting that Hiram. Reminds me of when I was a young lad. We had some in our yard. I grew up in a poor family and we used them for softballs. We could hit them but, of course, didn't have to field them. lol We'd also tend to throw at one another....

I found some seed pods this fall when out for a walk at a nature preserve. I never saw anything like them in my years of being outdoors. I did not know what they where, but someone here knew within minutes of posting.

Attachments

• DSC00103.jpg
    DSC00103.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC00071.jpg
    DSC00071.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 185
Squirrels will eat them. Not sure about any other critters.

Green hedge is easy cutting, but sticky like pine. Dead hedge throws sparks from the chain. Both will turn your saw neon yellow.

My goal is to process 3 cord of hedge by next spring. Shouldn't be a problem...

rdust said:
Did you bag up any of the fruit? I see a few trees toward my parents in Romeo but they fall right on a busy road in a turn with little shoulder so I've never got up enough nerve to pick any up. I figure getting smacked by a car wasn't worth it. :lol: I'm going to plant some and see what happens. Maybe my kids will be able to say "your PaPa planted those when I was just a little guy". :lol:

I filled my Girlfriends trunk with them! :cheese:

Do you want some there's only hundreds of them :lol:

I attended gunsmithing school in Oklahoma and had some in my yard, along with native pecan trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.