Osborne Matrix Insert (OB02028) Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gggvan

Dec 6, 2012
My opening: 36 1/8 x 28 1/2 x 24
Stove dimensions: 36 1/8" W x 25 1/8" H x 23 1/8" D

The sides of my opening are brick, so it varies by 1/8-3/4".

1. Can I operate the stove without a surround at the sides? I could get the surround, but it will add 3 3/4 " on each side to cover up 1/8" total.
2. With no surround, it leaves a 3" gap on top. Is there a generic top plate available from any manufacturer? I still have my 3/5 " plate from the old stove, can I re-purpose that?

Gary

Yes the insert can be installed without a surround. A custom surround can be made and used. That said, it looks like the install will be bloody tight at the top. How deep is the fireplace at the lintel height?

Last edited:
Yes the insert can be installed without a surround. A custom surround can be made and used. That said, it looks like the install will be bloody tight at the top. How deep is the fireplace at the lintel height?

my opening is 28 1/2 height; the stove is 25 1/8" H

lintel height?

my opening is 28 1/2 height; the stove is 25 1/8" H

lintel height?
My mistake, I was crossing figures, I meant the sides look tight. The lintel is what supports the top of the opening. If you go straight back from the top of the opening, is there enough depth for the insert?

Nevermind. I see you were only providing the surround dimensions. Bringing up the stove specs I see now that the insert is 28 3/8" wide and just the front surround is 36 1/8" wide. Height is 23 1/2" with a surround height of 25 1/8". You will need to match the convection slot opening at the top if you want to make a plate. This should not be blocked.

so, i cut a piece of scrap wood 28 3/8", the largest stove width, and it fits both at bottom and top to within 3" from the back wall of the opening.

Sounds good if ok at 20". The insert depth is 19 5/8" There is an optional adapter that can reduce depth to 15 1/2".
OPTION: AC01323

The bottom of the existing fireplace has a graduated brick platform extending 6" into the room.

pulled the trigger...stove should be here today. i have no installer though, my local guy backed out due to insurance restrictions and local shop only installs unit they sell.

Check with certified and well-reviewed sweeps in the region.

OK, I'm getting desperate now. Can't get anyone to help with this install. Anyone out there in the SE Mass area who knows anyone that can help would greatly appreciated!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. It's kind of annoying that so many places turn their nose up if you don't buy the unit from them. I would call around to every chimney or masonry company in your area and you'll be able to find someone. Just call and say you want them to install a 6 inch liner to accommodate a wood insert, and then when they give you the quote say you have the insert already and want them to hook it up as well.

turns out my existing liner isn't SS. installer says it's discolored by heat, and SS doesn't do that, so it's aluminum.

also, the receptacle box doesn't fit anymore. can I wire this directly?

turns out my existing liner isn't SS. installer says it's discolored by heat, and SS doesn't do that, so it's aluminum.
i was reading the osburn manual and nowhere do they mention SS liner, just "suitable" liner.

and the Mass Code states:

6001.9.1 Listed Materials. Listed materials used as flue linings shall be installed in accordance with the terms of their listings and manufacturer’s instructions.

SS definitely discolors under heat. It can go from a golden color to bluish depending on how much heat it has been exposed to. Post a picture.

If the insert is hardwired there must be a service disconnect (switch) close by the stove.

SS definitely discolors under heat. It can go from a golden color to bluish depending on how much heat it has been exposed to. Post a picture.

If the insert is hardwired there must be a service disconnect (switch) close by the stove.

pic coming a little later.

on the fan, I'm thinking of going through the bottom opening in front of the fan with metal flexible conduit and out through the fresh air knock out plate. This wire goes on to service the Morso on the other side of the chimney. I'll replace the double gang box with a single to make it smaller.

Liner pics

Attachments

• 20201017_123319.jpg
    20201017_123319.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 20201017_123300.jpg
    20201017_123300.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 93
What was connected to the liner?

Looks like stainless to me. @bholler what do you think?

What was connected to the liner?

Looks like stainless to me. @bholler what do you think?

No, the installer removed the old insert, put the new on in the opening and didn't reconnect it pending a new SS liner. But I'm suspicious, I cut a small piece off the very end and it was difficult to cut even with wire cutters. It seems harder than aluminum. It's not very malleable either, much more rigid than say an aluminum can.

And it doesn't scratch at all!

I'd be suspicious too.

It is stainless. If it was aluminum it would not be there anymore aluminum will melt if hooked to a wood stove. And you can easily cut aluminium liners with a utility knife

Might be time to look for another installer?

So I cut the installer loose. I ordered the flu adapter and hooked her up. Had the first fires last night. The manual does not mention anything about break-in fires, is that a thing of the past?

I put a thermometer in the opening in front of the blower with a pretty good fire this morning, and it topped out at 113 d, so I'm pretty confident with the steel flex cable there.

The insert project 1 3/4 from the opening. I can slip black metal panel down each side. But i'll have to fabricate some sort of projection rig for the panel at the top.