Osburn 1600 blower problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshG

Jan 23, 2014
Halifax
Hello all!

I purchased a used 1 year old Osburn 1600 insert and had it installed in the spring. I had issues with a squeaky blower motor a couple of months back so I took it apart and applied 3 in 1 to bearings and any areas I thought may be producing the squeak. After reading more about the blower/fan assembly, I realize I shouldn't have done this.

Within the last few weeks I have noticed the blower running slowly on full speed. I took it apart a few times to try cleaning contacts etc and it would not fix the problem.

Tonight, I took it apart and noticed that the small post that is connected to the rotor shaft was not seated properly with the rubber bearing that is connected to the fan itself. So when I held the fan stationary, I could easy spin the rotor shaft/post. It looks as though the post had some type of plastic thread between the post and the bearing and this thread was bunched up around where the post meets the bearing. I removed the shaft from the bearing by pulling it straight out from the fan and wrapped the thread around the shaft and inserted back into the bearing. Voila! The fan began spinning at full speed. It worked on full speed for about an hour. Now it slipping again.

Obviously the problem is the slippage between the shaft and the rubber fan bearing but I'm not sure how to permanently correct this. Any advice?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.