Osburn 1800 VS Osburn 2200.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bilzer007

Nov 26, 2014
New Hampshire
I currently have a Osburn 1800 and am trying to heat a 2,200 square foot house with the wood stove in the basement. I am able to maintain about 57 degrees on the 1st floor and the 1800 has a run time of 4-5 hours with seasoned wood, chock full. I have a fan on the 1800 and 4 registers cut into the floor to allow heat to rise .I am wondering if the 2200 is enough of a jump up to get closer to an 8 hour burn and more heat?
I have found a 2200 for asking price of $850 and it is 2000 year vintage. My 1800 is much newer. Is is worth the trouble to upgrade to the 2200 or I am better off with an even larger unit? Is a 20 year old stove EPA rating? I am wondering if there was a design change from 2000 to present in the 2200 stove?

Is the Osburn 1800 an insert? If so, will a larger stove fit the fireplace?

If it's freestanding, then I would jump up to a 3 cu ft stove.

Are the basement walls insulated? If not, that would be the first thing to change.

OK. The issue is only partly the small stove. Currently about one third of the heat produced by the stove is going out the uninsulated walls. That's one cord in 3.

Personally, I would buy a new stove unless the 23 year old Osburn showed very little use and wear. But first, I would insulated the walls.

Reactions: Itslay90
I guess the two issues are what is a 2200 stove worth at born date 2000 and is the 2200 enough of a significant upgrade from the 1800? Is Osburn considered a high end stove and should I stay with that brand?

Osburn is made by SBI which also makes Drolet, Century, Enerzone, and now Englander stoves. It's a good company that stands behind their products. $850 is a lot for a 23 yr. old stove. It probably only cost that much new.

The 2000 would be an incremental increase. With the amount of heat loss in the basement, if the walls remain uninsulated, I would go for something in the 3 cu ft range like a Drolet Myriad or Legend III, or an Osburn 3500, or an Englander 32-NC.

If you can find a Osburn 2300. Bought mine just before they stopped selling them. Fantastic stove. Great 10 hour + burns, makes great small fires. Big firebox
It’s one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Yes. That became the 2400. It's got a nice big 3.2 cu ft firebox that's deep and easy to load N/S.

Basement walls are still concrete, although they have been sealed with paint, so that may help a little. I plan on getting 1/4 of the basement covered with 5/8 plywood. Is there a big difference from the 2200 to 2300 Osburn? If buying a used stove is there a general cut off for insurance companies want to see for age?

Basement walls are still concrete, although they have been sealed with paint, so that may help a little. I plan on getting 1/4 of the basement covered with 5/8 plywood. Is there a big difference from the 2200 to 2300 Osburn? If buying a used stove is there a general cut off for insurance companies want to see for age?
Yes, the firebox on the 2300 and 2400 is much larger. It's 9" deeper than the 2200.

Paint and plywood are not going to much to reduce heat loss. Put a layer of foam insulation up before the plywood skin to make a difference.

Begreen, thanks so very much for this information. I will go ahead and get some insulation before I put up the 3/4 plywood. My 1800 is doing what it can, and during a power outage keeps the house at 57 or so depending on how cold it is outside. So the question is, is getting a Osburn 2200 worth the effort o3 will a 3500 size be most likely the better option? I am trying to find something used.

Stove.jpg

So the question is, is getting a Osburn 2200 worth the effort o3 will a 3500 size be most likely the better option
I think that has already been asked and answered.

It's 2.4 cu ft. Sizewise that is closer to the Osburn 2000.

Ok appreciate that. Seems like alot of work and not really gain much over the current 1800 Osburn. I think the size of the Osburn 3300, 3500 would be better suited for me...Is Regency as good a build as Osburn and is there any data of what the top best brands for build quality / longevity exist?