Osburn 2000 Inspire insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

paredown

Burning Hunk
Jan 11, 2009
Lower Hudson New York
Still waiting on the final word on whether or not I can get a replacement base for our Jotul F600.

We have a huge fireplace--and have the Jotul sitting on the cantilevered hearth, so sitting outside the original fireplace.

After my wife reminded me that the 'stove out in space' was a compromise, and she would appreciate having the stove tucked back into the fireplace--I have found a deal on a new Osburn Inspire 2000 (2045) .

Physically it will fit without issue (may need a low base fabbed), and there are both side panels and custom sized front panel available. I'm thinking that we would end up with the stove centered, squared up (with side panels--maybe fabbed from perforated metal?) --which would leave us wood stacking space on either side.

So the questions for the hive mind-- how much will we lose by going to a smaller stove AND setting the stove back into the fireplace.

(The whole fireplace is floor to ceiling stone, so it does act as a heat sink for the existing stove--room that the stove sits in as a little over 1000 s/f vaulted ceiling and lots of glass--heat does not travel much to the bedroom wings of the house...)

Are we talking about the Inspire 2000 freestander or insert? The Inspire has a blower and the potential to load N/S with shorter wood. Packed with a N/S load its capacity would come close to the F600. That said, my preference would be to put the Osburn 3500 insert in there instead, with its larger & deeper firebox.

Reactions: paredown
Are we talking about the Inspire 2000 freestander or insert? The Inspire has a blower and the potential to load N/S with shorter wood. Packed with a N/S load its capacity would come close to the F600. That said, my preference would be to put the Osburn 3500 insert in there instead, with its larger & deeper firebox.
If I understand their system, it looks like a 'modular' system--so you can add different bases plus side panels, or use it as an insert.

The attraction was the price--it's a deal--but you are no doubt correct--I would miss the size and burn times of the f600, and I should size up if I wanted to do an insert.

Load N/S the 3500 will hold a lot more wood than the F600 because there is no concern about the splits rolling into the glass. It can be packed fuller. (And it has no seams to seal after 10 yrs.)