Osburn 2200 Insert experiences?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeePee

Nov 15, 2008
Mississauga, Ontario
I enjoy using my fireplace immensely, however I've learned that not only am I wasting energy and wood, but am also contributing a lot of extra particulate matter to the atmosphere. To reduce my impact and possibly make use of the resources I am consuming, I'm going to install a fireplace insert. I've done a considerable amount of research online and where possible in-store. I think an Osburn 2200 insert fits my requirements, budget and aesthetics, but before I commit to the purchase I'd like to know if anyone is using the same model and has encountered any significant issues with it.

Intend to use the insert regularly, but it will not be my primary heat source. The area it will be installed in is ~900 sq ft. on the main floor. My home has an energy star rating of 76, ceiling fans and can be maintained at 69F/21C cost-effectively by a HE NG furnace, but if the insert could provide any additional heat, family members would appreciate it.

Primary motivations are: reduce air leakage, reduce heated air consumption in the colder months, reduce wood consumption and reducing environmental impact. Potentially reduce NG consumption, but I think considerable work would be needed to move the heat around.

When I replaced the old furnace, a variable-speed DC motor was installed. This caused a surprising reduction in electrical energy consumption, is anyone aware of an insert with a DC blower or an available retrofit kit?

Has anyone performed an ecoEnergy-style leakage test before and after an insert was installed? Was there a considerable difference in ACH values?

I appreciate that there are a lot of 'is this insert any good' type posts, but given my urban situation, most dealers mainly sell decorative gas inserts and generally have no hands-on experience with the wood products.

Best regards,
DP

Status
Not open for further replies.