Q&A Osburn 2200 with an air leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have an Osburn 2200 that I think has an air leak. I cannot safely burn this stove with a full load of wood because the stove will glow red even with the drafter shut. The funny thing about this is I definitely have draft control to a certain degree. If this was my first stove installed on this chimney, I might think my chimney was drafting too well, but this has never been an issue. Although my stove runs hot, the glass door tends to get a gray film on it after one or two fires. Can anyone offer their inside secrets about finding air leaks in a stove. This stove has an outer shell so it's difficult to use the inscents trick.

Answer:

The most common place for an air leak is the gasket around the door.. Best test for that is to put a piece of paper between the door and the body of the stove and make sure the door is shut tight and try to pull the piece of paper out.. If the paper pulls out then you need to adjust the handle on the door or purchase new gasket.. Do the test on several locations on the door.. If the door seems fine and you cant find a leak then just add a damper to your black pipe and back the draft down a little there.. There are cases where the draft is too strong and a damper in the black pipe would be needed even in "air tight" stoves..

Status
Not open for further replies.