Osburn 3500 Insert Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
After a busy summer, I finally got back into this project over the weekend and insulated the fireplace.

Step one was stuffing unfaced Batts of rockwool into the smokeshelf area above the fireplace.
IMG_20231015_121921.jpg IMG_20231015_122102.jpg IMG_20231015_122113.jpg

Then, I used 2" thick foil faced Roxul to insulate the whole fireplace, including making a block off place out of the foil faced stuff. I taped all the seams with foil tape.
IMG_20231015_174601.jpg IMG_20231015_174609.jpg
IMG_20231015_174635.jpg

I had planned on installing metal heat shields over the insulation but after seeing it with the foil faced Roxul and taped seams, I don't think the metal shields are necessary so I might scrap that plan.

All that's left to do now is move the stove back into place, hook it up to the liner, assemble the remaining parts on the stove and then on to the break in fires while we still have warm enough days to have the windows open. Getting close now. Been a long time coming.

Nicely done. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

After installing all the insulation in the fireplace I moved the insert back into place and hooked up the liner but it didn't connect correctly because I needed to elongate the hole towards the front of my foil faced Roxul block off plate. So, I pulled the stove out again and made the necessary adjustment to the hole in the plate. While I had it out, I decided to go ahead and use the metal heat shields since I had already made them. With the foil faced Roxul installed, some of the dimensions have changed a bit so I had to make a few adjustments to the heat shields. I also decided to change the metal block off plate design from a 2 piece unit to a one piece.

I made the new block off plate today and made the necessary adjustments to the other pieces and put them in place to test-fit everything. Looks like it's going to work well.

20231023_180411.jpg
20231023_180413.jpg
20231023_180442.jpg

Now, I just need to take them out and paint them and reinstall everything for the final time, including the stove.

Reactions: kennyp2339
That’s a work of fireplace art! Good job! Wish I could find time to even make a blockoff plate.

That’s a work of fireplace art! Good job! Wish I could find time to even make a blockoff plate.
Now it's a work of fireplace art.

20231029_173050.jpg

This past week I painted the heat shields with black stove paint. Today I installed them and screwed them all together with black screws to match.

20231029_173122.jpg
20231029_173017.jpg

I am very happy with the way it came out. Since I'm not installing the faceplate for the insert in order to get more heat in the room, this essentially creates a trim kit behind the stove and hides the insulation nicely.

I also installed my mantel shield, and the probe for my Auber thermometer and then moved the stove back into place and hooked up the liner. Everything lined up perfect this time. In the next few days I'll install the fire brick and make my first few break-in fires.

20231029_185345.jpg
20231029_185402.jpg

I only have about a week or two of use on it, but so far it's working really well. It heats the whole house (almost 3,000 sq ft) even the farthest upstairs bedrooms. The living room where the stove is located has become the favorite hangout spot for my family, especially my wife.

I let it go out over the weekend and haven't been using it the last few days because it has been a little warmer here and I'm trying to save my wood for the colder weather.

I'm planning on posting an update when I have more use on it, maybe halfway through the first season and then again after a full season of use, but initial impressions are great. Couldn't be happier.

Reactions: moresnow