Osburn Insert Operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
I have done some research on the stove that is in the house i'm renting. Apparently it's an OSBURN, built in 1981. Aka kind of a smoke dragon.

Anywho, it has a baffle of some kind...no secondary air tubes, and a damper. When you close the damper, the smoke exits through three rectangular openings toward the front of the stove, and then out the flue. Damper open, straight up the flue.

Anyway, I need some air control help. It has two air controls, one on the right, and one on the left. The one on the right controls air that goes to the bottom of the fire, right below the glass door. The air control on the left, controls the air that comes out right above the door. The one on the right, seems to have more effect on the fire. It will take it from raging, and slow it down a little. With the right one open, closing the left one *that exits the on the top of the fire* does nothing. But close the right one *bottom of the fire* and then close the left one I can darn near put the fire out.

Anyone else have a stove like this? What works for you? I have been playing around with it, but i'm having a tough time getting a good burn time, without a ton of smoke. And yes, the wood is very seasoned, it was locked away in my uncles wood shed for about 5 years, no rot at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.