Osburn / Valcort vs Ambiance / Supreme vs other?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

geofox784

Oct 16, 2023
High Rockies, Colorado
New to forum and working on replacing my cheap fireplace with a high efficiency unit. The construction will be pre-fabricated (wood stud chimney chase) at a high altitude (7300'). I have extended the chase to allow for a 15' chimney with all but 3' enclosed in insulated space. I am hoping to primarily heat the 1800 sqft house with it. The fireplace will be on the 1200 sqft 1st floor, with a gas furnace to supplement the 600 sqft finished basement as needed.

I don't have a central air system to circulate the air, so a "must have" is a good forced air kit to push air from the fireplace to rooms on the other side of the house.

Currently I am looking at a Osburn Stratford II or Valcort Lafayette IIS. Both appear to be made by SBI and seem to have identical specs (rated BTU, min BTU, burn time, HHV, etc.). Both also seem to be compatible with a good forced air kit. Other than a different appearance (dual vs single door) any reason I should pick one or the other?

I am also looking at an Ambiance Elegance 36 or Supreme Astra 24. Both appear to be made by Supreme Inc with nearly identical specs. However, the available forced air kit is smaller and can only push 25' at 245 cfm vs 50' at 300 cfm on the SBI unit. On the other hand, the liner on the Ambiance is soapstone vs steel on the SBI units. They also come with an automatic thermostat to adjust air flow as the stove cools down, while the SBI units does not.

Is the soapstone liner or the automatic thermostat worth switching over to the Ambiance from the Osburn / Valcort I have primarily been looking at?

Any other fireplaces I should be looking at?

Sorry, just saw this. We have had several SBI fireplace installs here, often Valcourts. They are good units. @NickW has perhaps the most recent posting. Look in the SBI forum for others.
If you want a deeper firebox for N/S loading, look at the Pacific Energy FP30. RSF and Astria also have several choices.

The Stratford II does a good job of heating the cabin. I have accomodations for adding the forced air kit if I want for the basement when we finish it, but don't have it yet. 28x48 main level with 16x22 loft on one end, the rest is cathedral ceiling (about 26x28)

It heats very well, but it breathes hard with the outside air intake especially if you let the flue cool too much. The shallow firebox likes 12" wood loaded n/s rather than 16" loaded e/w (even with sleepers). I smoke the glass pretty regularly with shoulder season wood (particularly the left side) if I'm not around to adjust the air as needed, hardwood is less of an issue there. Lots of mass that takes a long time to get heated up, but also a long time to really cool off. I have coals in the morning with only middle grade hardwood ( black ash, cherry & birch).

It will do the job for you, but a deeper firebox that will take 16" would be worth a look.

Personally if I was using it as a primary source of heat I'd be looking at the PE unit begreen recommended.

That 3.0 firebox is a proven design and will be an effective heater for your application.

Reactions: Stanger12GT
I looked at the PE unit, but I don't think their forced air kit will work well. It requires uninsulated B vent the whole run. I am planning on having the ducting run about 40 feet in an attic, so uninsulated B vent would be cost prohibitive and would need to be insulated.

I can't comment on your specific installation but Ive owned an Osburn 1600 unit for 4 years now and I'm very happy with it. Quality workmanship and SBI has great customer service. I've had to call for a few different issues (non structural, mostly my dog drooling on and ruining paint) and always get a person and a quick resolution. Id recommend an SBI product to anyone.

1000000283.jpg

I looked at the PE unit, but I don't think their forced air kit will work well. It requires uninsulated B vent the whole run. I am planning on having the ducting run about 40 feet in an attic, so uninsulated B vent would be cost prohibitive and would need to be insulated.
Anything running through an attic with that long run will need to be very well insulated. Even R8 flex will be lossy.

I have an elegance 36, going on 3 years now. the only thing to burn (mostly ) is poplar around here and it takes a lot to get the burn to throttle down to where it should be. I would say once it's up to temperature, it does a fantastic job.