Oslo Front Door Ash Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
downeast said:
ansehnlich1 said:
I rarely open the front door of my Oslo.....and I don't care what anybody says, it's a friggin' AWESOME stove.
Ha, my sister in law was gonna help out last year when I wasn't home, I walked in after the fact, and I just KNEW she opened the front door, as the entire ash mess was not cleaned up, haha, she cleaned it up best she could, but it was obvious she dumped a load out the front door, uh huh, yeah she did!
If you burn like me, and got a front door, guarantee ash is coming out of it if you open it :)
The Oslo has a gap between the inner iron lip and the front door glass, its a half inch or so deep (I ain't going to measure it) and maybe 3/8 inch wide.
Here's what I do prior to opening the front door, I got me a nice little 2 inch paint brush, and I use it to reach in there and sweep most that ash away from the front door and out of the gap before opening, problem nearly solved!
That little paintbrush also works wonders at keeping the glass clean, I brush it off when the stove is relatively cool, put on the big stove glove, reach in there, and brush 'er off, no problem.

Not too shabby idea. Neat. Almost...but no cigar. Hog bristle or virgin polyester ? Sash or flat ?

We don't care about the ceramic glass being clean; it's a nice to do, but heating is what the Oslo does for us. That space behind the door is for air flow to supposedly keep the clear ceramic clean. They all black up after a day or two of heating anyhow, so usually it is ignored until a stove cleaning is done. The Encore front doors ( double door ) are designed not to spill ash, and don't.

Stihl, a not so elegant design for such a well engineered and beautiful heater like the Oslo.

More ideas ?

Jotul techs...are you around ? I know you are lurking. :lol:

Have you contacted jotul

Hmm, seems like much ado over a little ash. I think Jotul is between a rock and a hard place. Most of their customers want a big ass view of the fire, but others don't seem to care and want a big dam in front of the glass. FWIW, seems to me Jotul struck a beautiful compromise. However, I can't see why one couldn't replace the glass with a big piece of steel if the occasional ash spill is a big concern.

BeGreen said:
Hmm, seems like much ado over a little ash. I think Jotul is between a rock and a hard place. Most of their customers want a big ass view of the fire, but others don't seem to care and want a big dam in front of the glass. FWIW, seems to me Jotul struck a beautiful compromise. However, I can't see why one couldn't replace the glass with a big piece of steel if the occasional ash spill is a big concern.

Has he contacted jotul or is this just a big tado?????

I have had the Oslo for a couple years, use the front door every day to load and have never had such a problem. The only time I could see this being an issue is if you let the ashes build up over towards the front doors/ perhaps you are waiting too long to remove the ashes.

I don't ever use the front door to load the stove. I use the side door for loading. Only time I use the front door is to scoop out the ashes. It does spill out some ashes, but I just brush the small pan on the front (it usually catches them, not a ton). For the benefits of this stove, I'm willing to deal with a few ashes. As said above, the fire view is nice, real nice.
Chad

from the comment's on the oslo,i'm looking forward to getting one.i did my brake in fires in the f400 and was very impressed with the stove.

Short sum-up of the Oslo ash problem. When the Oslo is used 24/7 for heating, AND the ashes are emptied each morning during winter as most who use a wood stove for full time heating ( from outdoor mean temp up to room temp, not from the thermostat at 60F up ) usually do, ashes do build up in the space between the front door and the air control ass'y. Yes, the ashes are swept away from the door and the air ass'y, and from the grate to be emptied in the pan. (Nice idea to use a sash brush for the door!!!).

The clear ceramic ( not glass) has nothing to do with the ash build-up....a clear view is just a want, no need really. BUT: as above posts said- the front door is opened every once in awhile ( fortnightly or so ) to clean the stove, check gaskets, air lever, etc...
The ash spill out is not tiny, it spills over the air lever, the lip, the hearth; perhaps 2-3+ cups of messy, lighter-than-air-mites ash.

It is --as was posted--a #2-3 PITA out of 10, not a big deal folks. ALL the other front loading or front door stoves that we have used in the years of using wood stoves have not poured ash out of the door when opened like the Oslo.
And of course Jotul has been contacted; why wouldn't a user do that first ? "It is the design." And it is.

So, rather than the ad hominum "tado" (whatever the hell that is) silliness, the live with it it is minor Gump, or why make a big deal stuff, let's find a Oslo owner who may have a reasonable, intelligent solution. Anyone ?
The best so far: paint brush. On the 1 to 10 solution scale: a 4.

what did jotul say when you told them of this?

johnnywarm said:

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, you have got to read the posts before asking a question. It's kind of like READY, FIRE, AIM. %-P

So, quote from above: "And of course Jotul has been contacted; why wouldn’t a user do that first ? “It is the design.” And it is. "
There. My god, I am surrounded by........................ :smirk:

downeast said:
johnnywarm said:

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, you have got to read the posts before asking a question. It's kind of like READY, FIRE, AIM. %-P

So, quote from above: "And of course Jotul has been contacted; why wouldn’t a user do that first ? “It is the design.” And it is. "
There. My god, I am surrounded by........................ :smirk:

Your surrounded by people with stoves(including the oslo) that work.it seems that we are surrounding the.............. :smirk:

Along with B² and WebM, I am now going to be enrolled in a How to Win Friends and Influence People program. Pray for us.

I still think that if you cracked that front door every time prior to opening the side door, you would mitigate some of this. 2 - 3 cups of ash is mucho mucho. I need to find someone in town who has one of these stoves.

downeast said:
ALL the other front loading or front door stoves that we have used in the years of using wood stoves have not poured ash out of the door when opened like the Oslo.

I think both the cause of your problem and the solution to your problem have been stated in the problem itself: you have a rarely used front door that dumps ash. Let's try stating the problem this way: your front door is rarely used, therefore it dumps ash. The reason none of your other front-door stoves ever dumped ash before may be because you used those front doors A LOT.

I was thinking about how much I would hate to have two cups of ash pour out of my stove everytime I opened the door, because I open my front door a lot, both on my current top-loader and my former side-loader. But it dawned on me, that would never happen to me even with the Oslo, precisely because I do use the front door. Two cups in two weeks is about two tablespoons a day. There is a good chance if the door was used daily those two tablespoons would never see the light of day, or your ash lip (so that's why it's called an ash lip!), or your hearth. One way to find out...

So I think some of the other posters were on to something. A procedural change may be in order. Because it may be a procedural change you already made, going from loading in the front to loading in the side, that is the root of the problem.

Or maybe the stove design sucks.

is this the only oslo with this much ash coming out when the front door is opened???? anybody else????chime in.

this is getting really boring. who really gives a chit if you spill some ashes? I mean what the F---. go buy a one of those electric fireplaces the amish make if you have that big of problem with ash falling out the front door

Hanko said:
this is getting really boring. who really gives a chit if you spill some ashes? I mean what the F---. go buy a one of those electric fireplaces the amish make if you have that big of problem with ash falling out the front door

I think he has a legit compliant.i would not want my expensive stove to do this.i just need to know if its operator error or the design of the stove.

Is there anybody else with this stove that has the ashes falling out like this one is?????

Hanko said:

We're not here to clean up after you Hank sweetie. Have the need to gum out, do it at home.
Don't have an idea, then go back to ground. I'm not here to entertain. You need to get a life. The problem is ___. The solution you have to solve the problem is___ . You don't even use the stove for much anyhow, why bleat ?
End. Take your Prozac and call. %-P

If you were only using the front doors, I bet the side would spill ashes when you opened it. If this is the worst problem you have be very happy every time you sweep up ashes.

humpin iron said:
If you were only using the front doors, I bet the side would spill ashes when you opened it. If this is the worst problem you have be very happy every time you sweep up ashes.

Right - use both your side and front doors regularly, not only the side doors. The problem will clean itself up - literally.

affix a steel plate (preferably removable) inside the stove that runs the length of the inner chamber from door jamb to jamb, either by weld, bolt, or cement, said plate to be approximately 2 to 3 inches high, being completely sealed along the bottom and sides, and positioned so as to be as close to inner surface of door glass/ceramic when door is closed.

my opinion would be to fabricate a channel on either side of stove wall that said plate could slide down into, preventing ash from collecting against lower 2 to 3 inches of door glass/ceramic.

edited to state that any addition to the interior of the stove could affect its operation and/or the ability of the front door glass to remain clear when burning.

Wow downeast, you seem like a PITA yourself. You and your ash-spilling Oslo should be a match made in heaven.

eightpilot said:
Wow downeast, you seem like a PITA yourself. You and your ash-spilling Oslo should be a match made in heaven.

Eight! whats a "oslo BBE"??????

Status
Not open for further replies.