Oslo Front door Closing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobm

Sep 22, 2006
I have a problem closing the front door on my new Jotul Oslo. The handle is spring loaded, what I have to do is push the handle in to get the barrel around the ketch on the side of the stove and then turn the handle. Not a big deal but it does take two hands or a gloved hand to do it when the stove is hot. I noticed the side door does not have this problem, the barrel is behind the ketch and as you turn the handle it pulls the doors in.
Anyone else have this problem? Is there a number for Jotul USA, I could not find anything online or in the manual?

Thanks

Bob

my floor dispay does the same thing. Once the gasket breaks in and the latch wears a little on the tab it will close easier, at least on my old burn display it did.

Same here. I load strictly through the side, though not because the front is hard to latch.

400 Riverside St # 14
Portland, ME 04103
(207) 797-5912

JotulOslo

A bit off topic but I'm asking out of curiosity. I have the older Castine with double doors in the front. Do any of you dealers know why Jotul switched to the single Larger door. I prefer the double style myself . Seems as though easier loading, ( I only open right door to load) tighter seal,cleaner glass etc.
Thanks in advance. AR

people generaly dont like drop away handles, so they went to the single door, and to allow for a little more viewing area.

MountainStoveGuy said:
people generaly dont like drop away handles, so they went to the single door, and to allow for a little more viewing area.

Any chance they may go back to the 2 door style?

FWIW, as an owner of the new style I am not convinced it's an improvement.

BeGreen said:
FWIW, as an owner of the new style I am not convinced it's an improvement.

Too much door compared to your 3cb model?

I liked the look of the older Castines and the new ones as well. Functionally, however, there is a bigger difference. Double doors expose less of the fire box when opened to the house interior, which means less chance of smoke escaping into the room when refilling. The double doors also mean that if a log rolls towards the glass it is held by one of the doors when you open up the stove to readjust the log position. And I'm noticing that the newer Castine glass consistently gets dirty on the right and left sides where the air wash appears to be less effective. Last, if they are going to have that big window, it needs to have center top and bottom clips to stop it from bowing in the middle.

bobm said:
I have a problem closing the front door on my new Jotul Oslo. The handle is spring loaded, what I have to do is push the handle in to get the barrel around the ketch on the side of the stove and then turn the handle. Not a big deal but it does take two hands or a gloved hand to do it when the stove is hot. I noticed the side door does not have this problem, the barrel is behind and ketch and as you turn the handle it pulls the doors in.
Anyone else have this problem? Is there a number for Jotul USA, I could not find anything online or in the manual?

Thanks

Bob

Phonebook

(207) 797-5912

Lest I sound like a grump, some of the things I really like about the Castine besides it's good looks and finish are: increased capacity, log length and burn times; very well mannered fire control, bigger ashpan, smooth operating air control that stays cool to the touch, and the nice door latching mechanism. It's firm and positive, yet easy to operate.

BeGreen said:
Lest I sound like a grump, some of the things I really like about the Castine besides it's good looks and finish are: increased capacity, log length and burn times; very well mannered fire control, bigger ashpan, smooth operating air control that stays cool to the touch, and the nice door latching mechanism. It's firm and positive, yet easy to operate.

Your not being a grump. These three are my first single door stoves and I wish all three of them had double doors like da old dudes. Esepcially the prime heater. Whapped myself under the chin with that hot cast iron backing up to make room for it to open. Nice burned chin. Too many years automatically parking myself in the same spot to put in wood.

You've got that right BB. That big door takes a lot of room space to clear. Like you mentioned in another post, there's less function in a lot of new stoves and a lot more furniture.

>I have a problem closing the front door on my new Jotul Oslo. The handle is spring loaded, what I have to do is push the handle in to get the barrel around the ketch on the side of the stove and then turn the handle. Not a big deal but it does take two hands or a gloved hand to do it when the stove is hot. I noticed the side door does not have this problem, the barrel is behind and ketch and as you turn the handle it pulls the doors in.
Anyone else have this problem? Is there a number for Jotul USA, I could not find anything online or in the manual? <

Hi Folks:

I know this is an old thread but I finally solved my door problem. My father in-law recently purchased an Oslo 500 and naturally experienced the irritating front door problem. He came up with a simple but genius idea. He backed the screw off on the inside ketch, installed a washer to act as a spacer and reinstalled. Now the door latches properly and I can do it with one hand. No risk of breaking the handle or burning my hand.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Thanks for the post Bob. Glad it was an easy fix. Just a simple shim and it's good to go!

Fairly new to this, but I never open the front door on my Oslo. The side door is one of the great things about this stove. The rare times I've opened the front door ashes spill out. Fix does sound great though as mine behaves the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.