OT -- Anderson Sliding Doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
I've got some of those old Anderson sliding doors in my sunroom, probably circa 1973. The door that gets used most pulls harder and is obviously worn a lot more than the others. Can I buy replacement rollers and other hardware for these doors? If that's not possible, what kind of maintenance should I do on it?

Should be able to, Eric. Just get the glass date from the corner of the glass, go to an Andersen dealer, and they should be able to get new rollers for you. Date is important, as ther are many iterations of the gliding doors.

Have you cleaned out the track and silcon sprayed it also the rollers

Elk is on the right track :) A lot of time the problem is just accumulated gunk in the track and bearings. A real thorough cleaning and then lubrication with silcone of the track and bearings can work wonders. If the door still feels gritty then it may mean the rollers need replacement.

I agree with Elk. If that doesn't work, I agree with Harry.
I used to build homes and I used to sell Andersen windows & doors. Perfect information given.

swimmer

Great--thanks everyone for all the great advice.

Taking the door out and cleaning/lubing everything was going to be my first step, but it's nice to know that there are probably replacement parts available if I need them.

I'm dating everything based on a date scratched into the concrete in the basement under the addition.

Those doors and windows (three sides of a four-sided sunroom) are one of the reasons I burn so much wood, downeast.

Eric Johnson said:
Great--thanks everyone for all the great advice.

Taking the door out and cleaning/lubing everything was going to be my first step, but it's nice to know that there are probably replacement parts available if I need them.

I'm dating everything based on a date scratched into the concrete in the basement under the addition.

Those doors and windows (three sides of a four-sided sunroom) are one of the reasons I burn so much wood, downeast.

Eric, don't use the date in concrete. The sunroom could have been an addition after the original construction. On EVERY Andersen window, in one of the corners, there is an Andersen logo with a series of codes with a date. You've got to use this to properly identify the series and manufacture date.

If you have ANY trouble getting parts locally, post here and I'll get them for you. I've still got my connections directly to Andersen and I will be able to get you whatever you need.

swimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.