OT---eden pure heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
has any one ever used these heater
http://www.edenpurestore.com/

I need a alternative heating upstairs in my house that does not cost that much too use and is efficient. I see mixed reviews on these.

Friend of mine bought one of these. I almost bought one last winter, but I never did pull the trigger. I don't know how well it works for my friend, I never think to ask him about it. I too would be interested to see how well these work. My only worry was that I would get one and my electric bill would go up enough to make up for the lower use of oil.

Consumer Reports tore it to shreds.

I did a search yesterday too after seeing this thread and needless to say that I wouldn't be picking one of those things up. I'll have to remember and ask my friend about his, see how it is doing for him.

PT Barnum could have made a million selling them to the suckers he poked fun at. He was so right.
The approx $400 they cost is utterly rediculous .
Add another $100 or so for each new outlet / circuit in whatever room you might want to use it and then watch your meter spin.

Anton Smirnov said:
If you want a safe space heater that runs on electricity, get an oil filled electric radiator.

They are safe & efficient (but they are slower to heat up than a regular electric space heater)

This is what I purchased for an upstairs bedroom that doesn't get heated by the pellet stove. It has mixed reviews, but mine does what is advertised. I have it setup on a timer to cycle on and off throughout the night as needed. Does a nice job on the lowest setting.

http://www.amazon.com/Delonghi-TRD0...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1225912634&sr=8-1

What I love are the newspaper ads for the Edenpure. Those full page newspaper ads showing the"Amish" building them. Yeah, they're really Amish using electricity and allowing their photos taken for commercial purposes. Or the pic of them delivering the heaters in a horse and buggy, now THAT'S efficiency! I do wish they would stop sending me those manila envelopes full of glossy ads and official looking documents. I'd like to have their advertising budget.

Berraco said:
Panhandler said:
What I love are the newspaper ads for the Edenpure. Those full page newspaper ads showing the"Amish" building them. Yeah, they're really Amish using electricity and allowing their photos taken for commercial purposes. Or the pic of them delivering the heaters in a horse and buggy, now THAT'S efficiency! I do wish they would stop sending me those manila envelopes full of glossy ads and official looking documents. I'd like to have their advertising budget.
i dont think amish build edenpures. amish build electric,wooden fireplace enclosures & give away the electric fireplace insert.= different unit.

Oops, wrong product.

Our backups are the old filled heaters. This year I put Lux plug in thermostats on two of them and it has made them extremely efficient. They now only warm up based on room temperature and maintain it. The internal thermo that comes on them keeps the heater warm all of the time. The plug in resides away from the heater and acts on room temps.

richg said:
Consumer Reports tore it to shreds.
Makes me want to out and BUY one!

My in-laws have one. They bought it years ago. I remember seeing this thing, and wondering why there is light emitting from this really large heater?

They admit they bought into the hype. It works as a simple space heater, no more. In fact, since it converts some of the energy to light, it might be less efficient that a standard space heater, which is VERY close to 100%.

They are quiet, and due to it's large size, the hot air is more diffuse. It would have a hard time tipping over.

Way overpriced electric heater. You would consume as much energy as any other electric space heater

It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't bother to simply google $#%^&^ product in Epinions, BBB or Just plain googling %^&^%$ complaints, problems ect...... If it is a heavily advertised item there is always a lot of pissed off victims who have listed it somewhere. Paul Harvey can sure go jump in the lake on that item. Boy those oil filled heaters sure have gone up in price. I still have the ones I bought in 1985 at Ames Dept Store for $35. They aren't pretty but they sure do work every bit as well as they did then. For us we just let the temp in the bedroom go down to the mid 50's as best the pellet stove can keep up from the other end of the house and hide under an electric blanket.

I have one of the oil filled heaters in a basement room that does not have heat. It works fine and has three heat settings as well as a thermostat. Biggest problem is forgetting to shut it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.