OT - need help with btu's on propane gas logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are people on this board who know this, just not me. I have new gas logs that are doing a good job upstairs. The box says that they are 34,000 btu logs. If I'm running them on high, how many gallons of propane gas am I using per hour? Thanks very much.

Thanks very much!

WTF is a propane gas log?

DeanB said:

A hideously inefficient flame-based decoration that removes more heat from the house than it produces (I'm assuming vented logs).

vgrund said:
DeanB said:

A hideously inefficient flame-based decoration that removes more heat from the house than it produces (I'm assuming vented logs).

Oh one of those! IC.

Actually, it's 99.9% fuel efficient. Heats over 1000 sf with no loss up the chimney - ventless. I wanted something to supplement our upstairs. It heats 2 floors of my house with almost no energy loss and is a great supplement to the basement Jotul. At about 1/3 of a gallon of LP gas per hour, that's not too shabby. That's WTF it is.

KarynAnne said:
Actually, it's 99.9% fuel efficient. Heats over 1000 sf with no loss up the chimney - ventless. I wanted something to supplement our upstairs. It heats 2 floors of my house with almost no energy loss and is a great supplement to the basement Jotul. At about 1/3 of a gallon of LP gas per hour, that's not too shabby. That's WTF it is.

I wanted to ask someone about these - do you find that it smells after a while? I've seen them in the shops and they do tend to have a bit of an odor, not sure if its just coz they're new or not.

I wanted to ask someone about these - do you find that it smells after a while? I’ve seen them in the shops and they do tend to have a bit of an odor, not sure if its just coz they’re new or not.

I have a free standing gas stove and it has almost no smell, it did smell some at first because of the new logs and fresh paint but that went away, there is a tiny smell from the stove but i guess that is true from anything you burn. It's not like it is putting off gobs of CO(that you wouldn't smell anyway) or any burnt smell. This is the second one of these I have owned and I grew up with and have owned several wood stoves.

If the logs are ventless, they are quite efficient since all the heat ends up in the room. However, I have never been a fan due to aesthetics and safety issues. Aesthetics: the logs will "process" whatever is in the room air (household cleaners, cooking residue, paint fumes, etc.) sometimes producing unpleasant odors. Safety issues are well debated in other threads. Yeah I know they have an ODS. Also, C3H8 + 5 O2 → 3 CO2 + 4 H2O. That water vapor can be a problem depending on burn time, size and tightness of the house/room and other factors. Also, burning propane produces other organic exhausts during typical combustion (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane). I'm just not a fan.

I'm blessed with the other variety of gas logs (vented). I don't like them any more than ventless. Gas logs are evil and should be destroyed.

Victor

Status
Not open for further replies.