Other hardwoods than ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Indiana wood

Nov 30, 2019
Warsaw Indiana
Since im unexpectedly back to being in the wood burning club my wood supply is less than ideal. Im in the midwest u.s. lots of hardwoods to choose from. My problem is I don’t have anything seasoned. Ive been burning dead ash without a problem but need something with more btus for overnight burns in January and February. What could i mix with the ash?

If seasoned . . . oak, sugar maple, yellow birch and beech are my "go to" wood for more coaling and to increase the "burn time."

Unfortunately that’s my problem this year, no seasoned wood. Standing dead is about as seasoned as i have

Probably won't be all that helpful if you're looking for something with more coaling . . . longer burns . . . but in the first year of burning I had pretty good luck with standing dead elm (as in dead-dead . . . bark falling off) and busting up wooden pallets.

Anything with lots of BTUs takes a while to season. Ash has relatively high heat content, considering it can season fast. But, I do like it mixed with other woods.

You're either hunting for well seasoned oak, hickory, or sugar maple (usually hard to find), or hoping to come across tulip poplar that is ready (sometimes 6 months stacked is enough). But "poplar"as it's called here in Indiana does not have the heat content of ash.

Anything with lots of BTUs takes a while to season. Ash has relatively high heat content, considering it can season fast. But, I do like it mixed with other woods.

You're either hunting for well seasoned oak, hickory, or sugar maple (usually hard to find), or hoping to come across tulip poplar that is ready (sometimes 6 months stacked is enough). But "poplar"as it's called here in Indiana does not have the heat content of ash.
Ok thanks. Hello fellow indiana er. My hickory, oak, beech will have to wait i guesss. Sounds like ash is my best bet this year

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Ash isn’t exactly pine or poplar. It might not rank quite as high as oak or locust, but it is one of the higher BTU woods in the forest. If you can’t get at least an overnight burn on ash, then you likely need a larger stove for your house.

Since im unexpectedly back to being in the wood burning club my wood supply is less than ideal. Im in the midwest u.s. lots of hardwoods to choose from. My problem is I don’t have anything seasoned. Ive been burning dead ash without a problem but need something with more btus for overnight burns in January and February. What could i mix with the ash?
@Indiana wood, aren’t you running a BK King?

Yes. My house is large. I do get a decent overnight burn. Coals in morning. Takes a bit to get really hot in morning, my geo will come on a little. No complaints. Next year with oak will be better
Coaling is a problem, especially if your wood is not up to par. I would let the oak alone for 3yrs....just saying

Warsaw, if all else fails, I bet lots of business activity nearby, and lots of dry oak pallets free to give away.

No, best to stick with your ash this year and build a kiln next year for some oaks and hickories. I haven't built one yet but I'm going to next year, I thought you'd need a set up like poindexter for it to work but many members are doing a simple kiln with plastic, just have to wrap and vent correctly.

Reactions: Indiana wood
Yes. My house is large. I do get a decent overnight burn. Coals in morning. Takes a bit to get really hot in morning, my geo will come on a little. No complaints. Next year with oak will be better
Depending on your goals, multiple stoves may be the answer. I’ve been running multiple stoves in this house as long as I’ve lived here, not completely replacing my central heating but putting a heck of a dent in the oil bill.

There is evidence that there was once five stoves running in the oldest part of this house, a sixth in the “new” 1890’s kitchen, and an open fireplace in the summer kitchen. It can be a chore to keep a large house heated entirely with wood.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Depending on your goals, multiple stoves may be the answer. I’ve been running multiple stoves in this house as long as I’ve lived here, not completely replacing my central heating but putting a heck of a dent in the oil bill.

There is evidence that there was once five stoves running in the oldest part of this house, a sixth in the “new” 1890’s kitchen, and an open fireplace in the summer kitchen. It can be a chore to keep a large house heated entirely with wood.
We built this house in 2003. Its spray foamed and insulated well. 2 stoves would be too much work. With the newer construction and geo thermal it really doesn’t make much sense for me to burn wood. I burn for several reasons
1. Reliving my childhood. My dad and uncles burned wood and my brothers and I helped haul wood.
2. boredom. At 50 and semi retired I just need something to do. Kids are grown.
3. my only grandson who’s adhd (like his pa) loves helping cut and haul wood. There’s no boredom for him in the woods.
4. I have unlimited supply of wood (90 acres)
5. Saving a little $

Last edited:
Reactions: showrguy and Ashful
If you don't have any more wood that is dry enough, it is tough luck for this year. Get several large candles and a -20 rated sleeping bag.
You need to worry about next year and you have 10 months to get that wood dry, that won't be easy.