our first cat stove - LOVING it!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dstover

Hearth Supporter
Jan 21, 2010
south central Washington
It has been 3 blissful days and nights since hubby & I installed our new Blaze King Princess. What a difference it has made. We have only lit one match in that whole time, and we have only reloaded a few times. I estimate that we have cut our wood consumption by half to two-thirds, and yet we are much more comfortable.

The best part is that we can turn the stove down to a low burn at night and let the house get colder (which makes for better sleeping), and then quickly crank the heat up to a higher setting in the morning without having to start a new fire. Even better: for our occasional trips to the big city, it looks like we'll be able to leave in the morning and come home late at night to a relatively warm house and easy startup. And one bonus: I purchased the fan unit but did not realize that it not only has a variable speed but also a thermostat—so it only turns on when needed.

The only downsides so far: Because it is autumn and we are burning on low most of the time, the window glass is getting a bit dirty. Occasional high burns for 15-20 minutes don't seem to burn much of it off. Also, on low burns you don't see flames so there isn't a pretty fire to watch. And then there's that door that opens on the wrong side...

But these are all minor complaints compared with the ease of use. There is a bit of a learning curve but starting up a cat stove doesn't seem to be any more difficult or time-consuming than a non-cat. And once it is going...wow is it easy to keep it going without any tending at all.

For those who don't like the looks of the Blaze King, I hear ya. Hubby wanted this stove from the start (based solely on recommendations from neighbors), but he told me he'd let me make the decision and assured me that he'd be okay with a prettier choice. He is still shocked that I picked this one.

It seems obvious to me now that those pretty stoves with pretty flames are best for people who have another heat source. For people like me who rely on wood stoves as their primary or only heat source, a stove like mine is the way to go. I wish I had known that when I bought my previous stove 16 years ago, although my neighbors tell me that the old Blaze Kings were poorly made. I see a lot of those stoves now on craigslist with notes saying "sells new for $2500" as if the new stoves are the same model & design as these antiques! I couldn't find anyone selling a slightly used BK Princess, and now I see why. I am keeping mine for a long long time.

Happy to hear that BK is doing the job for you. We too have a cat stove and are happy for it too.

You are right that the glass will clean itself. If not clean enough, just dampen some newspaper, dip it into the ashes and clean the glass with it. That does a nice job.

I hope that stove serves you well for many, many moon.

Thanks Dennis!

If there is a moderator reading this, please tell me how my nickname got changed to "Burning Chunk." I didn't do that myself, and I don't have any idea what it means! I don't see anywhere on my profile or control panel where I can change it back.

We all burned chunk at one point or another, its based on post count. Congrats on the stove, glad you are enjoying it.

Congrats on the new BK. they are a fine heater. I wish more stove manufactures would incorporate a similar thermostat like BK.

That burning chunk thing changes as you go up in the number of posts you make, maybe some day you will graduate to Inferno.

I love my big cat stove as well. Some may not like the looks but it is just as good or better looking than the natural gas furnace in the basement I don't have to use anymore.

Glad it is working out well for you.

Pardon my ignorance about the Burning Chunk. I didn't realized I had gotten a promotion to the next level! And that explains why so many of you are named Inferno...

Chargerman, I like the furnace analogy. Just last night I told hubby that I am thinking of our new stove as more like a furnace than a fireplace, which helps me ignore the aesthetics. Compared with other furnaces, it's a real beauty!

dstover said:
Pardon my ignorance about the Burning Chunk. I didn't realized I had gotten a promotion to the next level! And that explains why so many of you are named Inferno...

I want Craig to change mine to Babbling Old Fool.

Glad to here from another happy BK cat owner.
With fed tax credits, state rebates, wood savings $$ & the gas company credits I
got last winter, mine is just about paid for. (less than 1 year of use)

PS:
BB FYI, Craig changed yours to that 2 years ago, just comes up on your computer as "moderator"
everyone else sees the one you want. LOL :)

BrotherBart said:
dstover said:

I want Craig to change mine to Babbling Old Fool.

I want to be Burning Hunk . . . although truthfully based on my level of fitness calling me Burning Chunky would perhaps be more appropriate.

The only reason Jake is so chunky is that he still have not learned how to split wood properly.

Backwoods Savage said:
The only reason Jake is so chunky is that he still have not learned how to split wood properly.

:) :) :)

It's a good thing I leave my "Feeling" at home when I come on line. ;) :)

dstover said:

It seems obvious to me now that those pretty stoves with pretty flames are best for people who have another heat source. ! I .
The only heat source I have is my "pretty stove with pretty flames", I just do not understand how people make statements like this, oh well what ever.

For some reason, I had missed that sentence in the post.

Also for me, the only source of heat, other than the sun is my pretty stove that gives pretty flame.

So Dstover, do you not have another heat source? I think you will find that many of the folks on here have chosen pretty stoves that also offer excellent furnace like functionality. It's not one or the other.

I will admit that the BK line is superior to any other current stove in functionality. If your only goal is to replace the furnace with wood, then the BK is a no brainer.

Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis: Flip that splitter for Horizontal use in your Avatar and you will have it right yourself! I had to split of bunch of huge rounds vertically last weekend and could not wait to get back to good old Horizontal mode. I guess it all depends on what kind of back problem you are blessed/cursed with. I Hope your Dr. Appt. went well Dennis.

Congrats!

I would ague that the door opens on the correct side! :lol:

Unless your left handed.

cheers, Hiram

fire_man said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis: Flip that splitter for Horizontal use in your Avatar and you will have it right yourself! I had to split of bunch of huge rounds vertically last weekend and could not wait to get back to good old Horizontal mode. I guess it all depends on what kind of back problem you are blessed/cursed with. I Hope your Dr. Appt. went well Dennis.

Holy cow Tony. Now I have to work on educating you too!

Status
Not open for further replies.