Outdoor wood boiler questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turner87

Mar 4, 2015
Indiana
I'm currently looking at CB CL 6048, I will be heating a 1800 sqft house and a 30×40 shop. I heat with wood now, I have a buck insert ZC51 in.my house it does a good job as long as I'm home to fill it. I'm in a toss up should I keep what I got or go ahead and buy the CB while they still make them. The buck stove has a small fire box. I work 12 hrs so house is cold when I come home. I do have central air and heat pump. But I choose to burn wood due to high cost of electricity.

In the wood heating field personally I would not buy a boiler that is being discontinued, and I assume the CB you are looking at is being discontinued because it will not meet energy efficiency and emission standards. Before you think about a CB, search it on this forum to find out the experience of others, and do the same for any other brand that you may look at. Energy efficiency pays back for the length of ownership and use, and inefficiency is an ongoing cost monkey on your back.

In the wood heating field personally I would not buy a boiler that is being discontinued, and I assume the CB you are looking at is being discontinued because it will not meet energy efficiency and emission standards. Before you think about a CB, search it on this forum to find out the experience of others, and do the same for any other brand that you may look at. Energy efficiency pays back for the length of ownership and use, and inefficiency is an ongoing cost monkey on your back.
Yea it don't meet up to the new EPA laws. I'm in indiana and they passed the emissions law in 2011. I'd just keep what I have now but I can't keep it going for long hours. Do you know of a zero clearance stove that has a big fire box?

My primary area of knowledge is wood gasification boilers, which are intended for installation in a weather protected structure, which could be in a heated space (preferable) or a separate building.

Status
Not open for further replies.