Sytamra Posted By Sytamra, Jul 11, 2017 at 11:28 PM

1. Sytamra

Sytamra
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2017
    Loc:
    New Mexico
    The placement of our stove only seems to allow two locations for an outside air connection. Down into a crawl space or into an unheated garage. Garage doors do not normally seal very tight and the crawl space is accessed by an outside door that is about 3x4 and not sealed or weatherstripped. Is either one acceptable? We've run a pellet stove for years without a clue about the outside air......hope it makes a difference!
    Thanks, Bryan

2. Jonkman

Jonkman
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 11, 2015
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    Since you have access to the crawl space, why not run it through the crawlspace and to the outside using PVC pipe (metal pipe from the stove for 3 to 6 feet I believe, then PVC pipe the rest of the way). Granted you might be fine drawing air from a non-airtight crawlspace just fine, but you might as do it the right way and be done with it.

3. Sytamra

Sytamra
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2017
    Loc:
    New Mexico
    Thanks for the reply.
    From the crawl space, my only option is to drill thru concrete block foundation and that would put me at nearly ground level. Snow buildup would block that pretty quickly. Even running a tube at floor level (inside the house to the wall... ugly) would put it out only 10" above ground level and snow drifts to about 3 feet there! Something of a dilemma here.....
    I think I'd be better sucking cold air into the garage than to suck it into the crawl space and making the floors cold...Gawd, why can't this be simple?

4. Jonkman

Jonkman
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 11, 2015
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    Why don't you just do something like this as in the photo, that is what I did for the same reasons you explain. Snow drifts, etc.

Attached Files:

5. Sytamra

Sytamra
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2017
    Loc:
    New Mexico
    Thanks. How long a run and how many elbows before you degrade the volume of incoming air?
    The layout of the house and the desired placement of the stove causes issues. For that matter moving the stove causes issues with air circulation, so I think the location is about perfect. Our original installation was in 2003 and the OAK issue was never mentioned....we've been sucking cold air into the place for 13 fricken years and not knowing it!
    Uninformed.....
    Now I have a modicum of knowledge and understanding of the fresh air issue and and no easy way to solve it! Whatever the exhaust blower cfm is is equal to the cfm of frigid air being sucked into the house. That is certainly counterproductive. The crawl space is probably my best option.......
    Thanks
    Bryan
    BTW, going with a Castle Serenity

6. Jonkman

Jonkman
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 11, 2015
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    From a thread I posted, I had someone tell me that if you go over 10 feet then up the PVC pipe to 3". The OAK is probably 2" to your stove, so run metal 2" from your stove until you get in the crawlspace (I've seen people use flexible metal 2" exhaust pipe for a car), then get a reducing coupler (mine is just rubber) from 2" to 3" and then run the PVC to the outside, add a elbow, go up 3 feet or 4 feet, add another elbow and put a grate on the end and you are done. Probably cost $30-$50 or so for all the parts. Hardest part will be drilling through the block wall.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/my-summer-project-completed-quadrafire-castile-insert-in-my-stairwell.149076/#post-2002394

7. fmsm

fmsm
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2011
    Loc:
    South of Boston MA
  8. Jonkman

Jonkman
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 11, 2015
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    Duh, that is an excellent idea, I completely forgot about that solution, I remember seeing them too and almost went that route but my installer talked me out of it (story for another time, I think I know more than they do now....). Duravents system is not the one i was thinking...I'll see if I can find it.

9. Sytamra

Sytamra
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2017
    Loc:
    New Mexico
    Well I guess that brings up another question.....I was going to use the existing exhaust vent and just raise or lower it a few inches as necessary to accommodate the height of the exhaust on the stove. How long does the pipe last?

10. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 6, 2014
    Loc:
    New Hampster
    IF your crawl space is easy enough to get too, I'd cut a louver into the door, and use the crawl space.
    I have mine in a crawl space under my porch... it has lattice all around.... no chance of snow or anything
    plugging it up.. no extra length of pipe or 90's... screen over the end for critter control...and it's invisible.

Dan

cecil_archer and DneprDave like this.
  11. Sytamra

Sytamra
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2017
    Loc:
    New Mexico
    That's what I'm inclined to do. The stove is located in the N.E. part of the house and a 6" snow puts 3' drifts there! The door to the crawl space is on the south side and is not sealed at all. I'm replacing a 15 yr old quadrafire Santa Fe with a castle serenity and looking forward to the new stove!

12. Lake Girl

Lake Girl
    Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I see someone already mentioned the OAK integrated into the thimble ... seems like the best option. You might have to adjust the size of the thimble opening slightly. Drawing air from the garage is a no go code wise.

Just checked on exhaust venting heights off the stoves ... Santa Fe is 16 -7/16" vs. Serenity is 8". You have some extra elbows to reach the old thimble height. Have you figured slightly larger hearth pad to accommodate the stove being farther out from the back wall?