Outside Air Intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

c8089923

Jan 28, 2022
Patagonia, AZ
Before the cold weather kicked off, I installed a 4" outside air intake to the underside of my Pacific Summit stove. As part of the install, I added a rodent screen using some stainless steel screen I had from another project - McNICHOLS® Wire Mesh, Square, Stainless Steel,Type 304, Mill Finish, Woven - Plain Weave, 8 x 8Mesh (Square), 0.0930" x 0.0930" Opening (Square),0.032" (21 Gauge) Thick Wire Diameter, 55% Open Area Material. I was suspicious the the stainless steel screen was blocking the air flow... Today, I replaced the stainless steel screen with 1/4" wire cloth. It makes a huge difference. No more breeze coming through gaps around doors and windows. A 55% open area blocks off too much of the 4" duct to provide sufficient outside air for the stove. Don't be me...

That's a good observation. The 1/4" mesh screen should be sufficient.

1/4" should keep rodents out. Not sure on the details of your install, but it is nice to put them in with a accessible blast gate so that they can be completely closed off when not being used.