Outside Air Kit for the Defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidscott

Oct 13, 2009
northwest Kansas
I'm wanting to install an outside air kit on my Defiant 1945. I've burned it for about six years and love it. This summer, however, I've done a lot to our basement to eliminate draft. I've installed new windows, have new doors, etc. Bottom line, I'd love to bring in combustion air from the outside.

When I found an outside air kit for this stove, there was a line in the instructions that said "the outside air vent must be level or rise as it approaches the stove." My problem is that I'm in the basement. Here's the question: can my outside air pipe be higher than my stove as it comes in through the exterior wall, then run it along the ground until I rise to the outside air vent on the back of the stove?

Do you think it will affect draft?

davidscott said:
"the outside air vent must be level or rise as it approaches the stove." ...
Do you think it will affect draft?

I suspect that they are concerned about condensation in the OAK and doing what they suggest should have it drain outside. I have an OAK running to a firelight in my basement that drops about 8 ft. It works great. I did insulate the outside of the duct. I don't think the dropping OAK will negatively affect draft in your stove/chimney. A dropping OAK might allow a natural draft to occur within the vertical pipe, filling your stove and potentially, basement, with cold air, when your stove is not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.