Outside air kit help on a PE Alderlea T4

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Aquaelvis

Mar 5, 2021
N Idaho
First, does anyone have a phone number for Pacific Energy? I sent them 2 emails regarding some tech questions and have never received response. (Been 2 weeks) I can’t find a number for them any where.
I have a new Alderlea T4 that I am trying to install. Im about to put the cement board down on new hearth and need to figure out where this fresh air duct should come up. (going though 2 inch hearthstones, .5 inch cement board, .5 inch plywood, 9 inches open space then through the floor and terminate in the crawl space)
The sales guy I spoke with months ago said not to bother buying the fresh air kit, it was a waste and just to use 4 inch vent pipe. My question is how does that attach to the stove? I can see the hole at the lower, rear of the stove. Is that it? Can I just find a metal flange that will fit the 4 inch duct and screw in to the back?
I’m not sure if this connects to anything inside the stove or just provides air to the bottom area of the stove?
I cant find any listing for the PE air kit online so I’m not able to see what should come in the kit.
Anyone have pics of what they did?

I dont think the is a kit to directly connect the stove to the fresh air source, I think this is more or less a box that help funnel a fresh air source to the bottom of the stove, I guess its made like that to alleviate the potential of a reverse draft.

Here is the back of the stove. That is the blower fan housing hanging down at the top. (It is still on its factory shipping pallet so don’t let that wood throw you off)
From what I can see there is just a void under the stove that draws air? The kit has the flange that covers that hole. (From what I understand)
So it makes a little more sense that the sales guy said to just put a dryer vent in the hole and not waste the money on the kit. My concern is if it goes in too far it will restrict air flow. I’d feel better having something that would screw to the stove and hold that vent in place.

3394DD1C-DE87-4324-A1A2-FED4B403C213.jpeg

Closer shot

Attachments

• 0D8EAD08-D2BC-4114-B984-74C11F73EC3C.jpeg
    0D8EAD08-D2BC-4114-B984-74C11F73EC3C.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 119
I found this on Amazon. The outer collar might not be wide enough but I could extend it. (Weld this onto some 18 ga and drill out the center) I could just use some brackets to attach this ring to the existing holes?
Anyone have a better option for the flange? Was thinking about hunting down an old dryer and cutting the sheet metal out around that flange and cutting to size. Seems like a pain as id have to find someone getting rid of an old dryer then do the work of scabbing the flange then taking the rest to the dump. Also, not totally sure those dryer flanges would work any better that this one from Amazon. ($10)

FAC57848-0DFA-4539-A9DF-97C53934F93A.png

Get a standard duct start collar with clinch tabs. Bend out every other tab 90º. Then insert into the hole and bend the tabs inside against the stove body. Connect with metal dryer duct,

Get a standard duct start collar with clinch tabs. Bend out every other tab 90º. Then insert into the hole and bend the tabs inside against the stove body. Connect with metal dryer duct,
That is a great idea!
I picked one up last night but realized when I went to install it my hole is actually 3-3/4 inch. (Who does that?!)
So if all else fails I can modify this to fit in sure.