Outside Air Kit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PaulBunyun

Oct 15, 2019
Michigan
Currently running a Quadrafire 2700i insert. I seem to be having trouble getting consistent airflow into the insert. I will start a fire, let it get going with the door open. However as soon as I close it the fire visibly dissipates. I end up burning through a load of wood before I can establish a hot enough bed of coals to sustain a fire. I'm thinking of getting an outside air kit. Does anyone have a similar situation that an outside air kit fixed?

What moisture content is your wood at?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Mixture of hardwoods seasoned 1 year+ When I split the wood and check the center with my moisture meter it's all below 20%...most around 12-15%.

Mixture of hardwoods seasoned 1 year+ When I split the wood and check the center with my moisture meter it's all below 20%...most around 12-15%.
Then is there a nearby window or door that you could crack open to see if it makes a difference? An oak may very well help you. But what you are describing is not really typical of the need for an oak.

Your symptoms are usually caused by wet wood. Occasionally someone also has an airflow problem or an operational issue.

Are you measuring MC at 70°F on a fresh-split face?

1 year seasoned hardwood might be at 12% if you lived in Nevada, but not Michigan.

Your symptoms are usually caused by wet wood. Occasionally someone also has an airflow problem or an operational issue.

1 year seasoned hardwood might be at 12% if you lived in Nevada, but not Michigan.

I have Oak that I split and stacked at the beginning of the year. The splits on top are below 18-19 for me. uncovered and in mostly full sun. The rounds and larger splits are still high though. I am in the hot Humid Ozarks.

To clarify it has been split for a year+ but had been cut or dead for much longer. I do fresh split and then measure so I'm pretty confident it's well seasoned.

To answer moresnow it is main floor above grade. I have read on here that this model may have issues with some of the air controls. I'm just hoping an OAK might alleviate that as selling and replacing isnt really an option for me right now.

Is an OAK a common thing in most inserts?

To clarify it has been split for a year+ but had been cut or dead for much longer. I do fresh split and then measure so I'm pretty confident it's well seasoned.

To answer moresnow it is main floor above grade. I have read on here that this model may have issues with some of the air controls. I'm just hoping an OAK might alleviate that as selling and replacing isnt really an option for me right now.

Is an OAK a common thing in most inserts?
Crack a window nearby. If that helps you need an oak. If it doesn't an oak won't help.

After that if you still have a problem. How tall is the chimney. What size liner does it have? Is it insulated? Is the baffle and blanket placed properly in the stove? Is the cap clear?

Does the wood sizzle and cook water out of the end grain?

How tall is the chimney and is it insulated? But like others have suggested, try the open window first.