Outside air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemms

Oct 18, 2006
Edgar, WI
As some of you have already found out, we are looking to purchase a pellet stove in the near future. I had a question concerning the outside air kits that can be attached to most of these. Does an outside air kit increase the efficiency of the furnace?
Are they worth their price and installing?

Lemms

We elected to install the kit, primarily because it's a basement install with other appliances that need air (water heater, NG clothes dryer, etc). We also used the Selkirk vent that is a 'tube in a tube' design, fresh air in on the outside of the vent, exhaust out the center, so only one hole in the wall for both. I also made a metal baffle to cover the silver air intake connection so all you from front on is the 6" vent which looks good. Also, back when we installed, the dealer did not have an reducer to go from the Selkirk vent tee to the outside air tube. A cleaned out PVC pipe glue can fit perfect, the screw top to the outside air tube, the can with the end cut out to the Selkirk tee. In my knowledge and as long as the unit has enough combustion air, the kit will not affect efficiency one way or the other. Selkirk--> http://www.selkirkinc.com/pdfs/chim/PelletBro-Final.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.