Q&A outside air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a safety question related to the use of an outside air intake. The cabin I am planning is to be built with 6" walls, insulated windows and the like to withstand the cold Northern Minnesota winter. The point is that this building will be "tight". I am planning on installing a wood stove. The concern, given the construction characteristics of this building, is that the stove will consume an inordinate amount of oxygen inside the building thus posing a safety problem. Would you recommend outside air intake for new construction or am I just being paranoid?

Answer:

Yes, because of your climate and the tightness of the home, an outside air source will help make certain that your stove works correctly. Another option would be to install an air-to-air heat exchanger into the home. This assures that the air in the home will be fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.