Outside combustion blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robzheat

Sep 30, 2006
Does anyone know if the Enviro Empress pellet stove Exterior mounted combustion blower feature(optional), will fit with the Harman XXV. It appears you use the blower from your existing stove. The only thing that would need to fit is the blank plate that is provided with the kit to cover the opening when the blower is removed and the actual blower fitting in the exterior housing?

Does anyone know if Harman makes a kit for the combustion blower to be installed on the outside?

Has anyone looked at the Envro Empress Exterior blower kit???

Robzheat said:
Has anyone looked at the Envro Empress Exterior blower kit???
Yeah I just checked it out online.
Why would you want to mount that huge box on the outside of the house? :shut:
What are you trying to do.... This is for the combustion blower and moving it farther away from the stove may affect the draft...
besides when it's 10 degrees outside would you really want to spend time cleaning this as part of your cleaning procedure? :grrr:

How often does one need to clean the combustion blower? I did this a few times in 5 years with the Quad and it wasn't too dirty even then.

Just trying to reduce the noise in the house, we watch tv in the room

I can appreciate that. That's why we had the Quad 1200i. On medium it wasn't too bad at all. One of these days I'm going to visit the shop to see how the new Mount Vernon sounds.

Robzheat said:
Just trying to reduce the noise in the house, we watch tv in the room
I think I'm confused.... 8-/ Do you mean the distribution blower because the combustion blower should not make that much noise, and you cant control the speed on this.

Yes, combustion blower.

My distribution blower is very quiet even on high

No, I think he means the combustion blower. The external blower is an option with Empress freestanding stove. They've gone to great lengths to quiet down the stove. But ultimately, a pellet stove is essentially a biomass furnace.

Even though the combustion blower is not all that noisy it contributes and can make those intimate whispering scenes hard to hear. I turn up the volume a little during those moments. And just hope there isn't a bomb blast in the next scene.

Ok. But this does seem a bit odd to me. I'm waiting for harry to reply here. Again my stove you can barely hear the combustion blower. It's actually quieter than the distribution blower on low.... I know the Dist blower is different on the xxv than the advance but don't know about the combustion blower. Still a bit odd that this is louder.
Harry.........Harry?
Or any of the new 25 owners........Is this normal?

Im here, GVA....just the busy season....*sigh*......

Well, heres my take:

Easily, and by far, as usual, GVA is correct......the loudest fan in the XXV is the distribution fan...then the feed motor, then the combustion motor. Oddly enough, in my opinion, the XXV is by far the quietest of the Harman line as well. Im suspect that the combustion fan in question might possibly be defective, or Robzheat has unreasonable expectations as to the amount of noise which can be created here. You should be able to hear the distribution fan, but can turn it down, and turn the TV up. The combustion fan cannot be slowed down by the user, and while it makes SOME noise, it isnt much...actually not much at all. RobzHeat...have you heard any other XXV's run? Is your unusually high in noise? Does your dealer have one running in the showroom? (we do), What does your dealer say about this? Excessively noisy motors are generally covered under warrantee.....have the dealer listen to it. The comb blower should easily be more quiet than the dist fan...by far, really.
As for add-on kits, there are NO combustion blower outside attatchments for the XXV, and I dont think youd be able to "add" one on, without making some severe modifications to the stove, which Im SURE would kill your warrantee. The stove works on a negative pressure firebox principle, and by using an exterior fan, I assume you'd be positively pressurizing the firebox, creating leaks and also causing the vac switch to kill the feeder...no feed= no fire= no heat= useless appliance.

I'm flattered Harry..... But this seems like a no brainer to me that the comb blower should be quieter than the dist blower as I'm writting this the sound of the pellets droping through the slide plate ito the auger is the only thing that makes me notice the stove running at all (the house is up to temp so dist blower has kicked down to low). It does sound like something is definitly wrong in his 25....... Is it the same comb blower as the advance?
And just for clarification, during routine cleanings should the comb motor and it's fins be cleaned? I think I know the answer (YES............at least on a harman)

Get some rest harry, I have a long weekend off from work (where I get paid) but a long weekend of work at home..........(about 500 tiles to install in the bathroom)
It's odd......no actually it's not when I think about it....... My busy season started back in August and runs through the winter..... it kind of coincides with yours...I work in a distillery....... :)
Now that everyone is sitting around by the fire inside keeping warm.............. raise a glass (and keep me employed)... :)
Again "Tis the season" :)

The loudest part of my XXV is the fan that blows the heat into the room....
And that doesnt really bother me too much.

You can have the XXV run without the Distribution blower. Set your ignitor switch to "Manual" (after the stove is started) and your mode dial to "Stove Temp" and the temperature dial to less than "5". With the feed rate at 5 or less the stove will saty below 80% and the distribution fan will not come on, allowing the stove to burn in silent mode. This is the only brand that I have come accross that does this. See page 21 of your manual.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.