Outside pellet storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
I've decided I need my garage space back, and the only way to do that is to store my pellets outside in a shed.
I was hoping a search here or elsewhere would turn up some photos, plans etc., but the information is scarce.
Sure there are lots of photos of garden sheds, but I want information specific to issues of storing pellets not shovels.

I need/want to store at least 3 pallets each holding 1.2tons. I don't want to restack the pellets myself so I want to be able to have the pallets pushed inside the shed upon delivery. This way it's physically easier on me, and the pallets stay wrapped from the factory.

The Initial thoughts are to allow ~6' square for each pallet, and ~6' high.
My winters are tough on temporary structures so I will construct one out of lumber, with hopefully a metal roof to shed snow. This winter so far I believe we have had 5' of snowfall.

I am imagining a shed ~18' long. with 3 double hinged doors. Each double hinged door (each half door ~30" with a pallet behind each door.

There are two issues I am struggling with the first to slab or not.
The second is ventilation I'm thinking to avoid the moisture that forms do to large temperature swings that I need to install at least 2 vents so the inside temperature is equal to the outside.

Any thought out there any photos?

fyi I have a premade 12 x 8' shed and it easily holds 6 tons w/ room for another. Leaf blower, shelves, blankets in that space...

I've decided I need my garage space back, and the only way to do that is to store my pellets outside in a shed.
I was hoping a search here or elsewhere would turn up some photos, plans etc., but the information is scarce.
Sure there are lots of photos of garden sheds, but I want information specific to issues of storing pellets not shovels.

I need/want to store at least 3 pallets each holding 1.2tons. I don't want to restack the pellets myself so I want to be able to have the pallets pushed inside the shed upon delivery. This way it's physically easier on me, and the pallets stay wrapped from the factory.

The Initial thoughts are to allow ~6' square for each pallet, and ~6' high.
My winters are tough on temporary structures so I will construct one out of lumber, with hopefully a metal roof to shed snow. This winter so far I believe we have had 5' of snowfall.

I am imagining a shed ~18' long. with 3 double hinged doors. Each double hinged door (each half door ~30" with a pallet behind each door.

There are two issues I am struggling with the first to slab or not.
The second is ventilation I'm thinking to avoid the moisture that forms do to large temperature swings that I need to install at least 2 vents so the inside temperature is equal to the outside.

Any thought out there any photos?
You should be aware a metal roof will sweat during temp swings I would make the roof high in the front and sloped back towards the back. I also might consider sliding doors rather then swinging doors.

ohbix do you need to load the pellets inside the shed bag by bag?

rona yes I want to slope the roof toward the back just as you suggested. with a little overhang on the front.

I store mine in a metal roof semi trailer without issue.
But if you are willing to build a shed with lumber, just make it any configuration fits best for your usage and install some insulation between the wall studs. You dont have to finish the inside walls, just staple the insulation up and use the shed. A concrete pad will help slow the temp change as well, vs. a wood floor.

Just have a look at how the pallets of pellets are stored at your local retailer. My local retailers just put them up on racks under a roof with no walls. Most of the people that do not buy a full winter preseason, buy a pallet at a time and during the winter, when they get another pallet, it has a gallon or two of water and ice on top of the plastic wrap.

Buy a pallet jack to move them around with. Also keep in mind you will need a beefy floor with a that weight, especially if you go the pallet jack route

I store ALL of my pallets of Pellets in my uninsulated Shop with a metal roof...never had a problem one. I buy 4 tons at a time and every place I've seen stores the pallets of pellets outside in the rain. Granted, there like double or triple wrapped with shrink wrap.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
Have you thought about bulk delivery and a silo or bin ? That's what I'd be doing if we had bulk delivery here, but we don't. The town of Greenville Maine has a big silo for pellets to heat their school building. Hah, they put in a commercial pellet boiler the year oil prices dropped LOL !! You can get the plastic silo's for pellets in various sizes and probably cheaper than building a shed.

Have you thought about bulk delivery and a silo or bin ? That's what I'd be doing if we had bulk delivery here, but we don't. The town of Greenville Maine has a big silo for pellets to heat their school building. Hah, they put in a commercial pellet boiler the year oil prices dropped LOL !! You can get the plastic silo's for pellets in various sizes and probably cheaper than building a shed.

In all seriousness... I load 4 tons on my gooseneck flatbed and truck em home behind my Dodge Cummins pickup and unload them by hand. Bag by bag. That's how I plan on staying fit during winter. I'm only 30 lol. [emoji1320]

Get a pallet jack at Harbor freight when they are on sale. You must have a concrete floor. Depending on who you buy from you may need a landing outside shed or more room inside as some sellers roll them off of a trailer at delivery. That takes a little more area, about 6 ft. A 5 foot wide door is great. I store mine outside all winter. Just cover top with 1/2 half sheet plywood so ice does not rip plastic and you can clean off real fast. Foamit UP

In all seriousness... I load 4 tons on my gooseneck flatbed and truck em home behind my Dodge Cummins pickup and unload them by hand. Bag by bag. That's how I plan on staying fit during winter. I'm only 30 lol. [emoji1320]
With the exception of having my pellets delivered, I hand bomb them into the pellet palace ... approximately 3 pallets x 60 bags fit in there. Soffits are open but have put in insulation on the top plate to keep blowing snow out. There is a light build-up of frost on the bags come mid winter but have never had an issue with moisture damage from this. I'm judging it is just a result of severe temperature drop (we do get temps of -40 or worse around Christmas).

PS... My oldest boy is 32:)

Attachments

• Pellet Palace.JPG
    Pellet Palace.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 371
Reactions: crf450ish
Get a pallet jack at Harbor freight when they are on sale. You must have a concrete floor. Depending on who you buy from you may need a landing outside shed or more room inside as some sellers roll them off of a trailer at delivery. That takes a little more area, about 6 ft. A 5 foot wide door is great. I store mine outside all winter. Just cover top with 1/2 half sheet plywood so ice does not rip plastic and you can clean off real fast. Foamit UP
I have one and it's fine. Don't have any illusions like I did about moving 1.2 tons around on the driveway though. Sure, you might be able to do it with some help on really good, level driveway, but it doesn't take much to stop your progress. In the basement, on a nice concrete floor, it's great. I don't recall whether pushing or pulling is better, lol, but you have to leave room or access for this activity plus getting the forks out from under the pallet.

All good comments thanks. As far as bulk delivery the biggest problem I see is that there is no choice of pellet manufacturer. The bulk in my area is one kind, and they aren't the best.

Lake girl thanks for the photo.

Load-in does seem to get a little tougher every year but I usually do it by myself. I have a vacuum set-up so I transfer to buckets by the shed. Hubby commented the other day that we may have to get smaller buckets as we age... not there yet==c
LOL, save the money on smaller buckets and just don't fill the ones you have as full. That's what I've had to do now with my emergency stash in the basement for extreme cold days when I don't want to meander out to the garage where most of the corn is stored!

The old knees just don't climb the steps like they used to so I only fill the 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full. Sooner or later I will be 1/2, but not yet!!

Reactions: Lake Girl
I can still tuck a 40lb bag under my arm and carry it across the yard and into the house, so I'm good for a while. I'll only be 67 in April though. But I can feel the stamina difference since after 60 or so in a lot of things I do. Hey the 70's are around the corner, can't believe it. Time sure flies !!

Reactions: Harmanizer
I can still tuck a 40lb bag under my arm and carry it across the yard and into the house, so I'm good for a while. I'll only be 67 in April though. But I can feel the stamina difference since after 60 or so in a lot of things I do. Hey the 70's are around the corner, can't believe it. Time sure flies !!

That's why I'm so interested in hoping to be able to have delivered pellets parked in a shed !

Only worry I would have on a slider door would be snow infiltration. Two tracks so you would be able to slide doors out of the way to load all three pallets? Or two oversized swing doors?

As was mentioned, pallet jack would be a tough go unless you are moving on concrete or asphalt from where they were off loaded. Sometimes an additional fee if you want them to move in place ... besides any original delivery fee.

LOL, save the money on smaller buckets and just don't fill the ones you have as full. That's what I've had to do now with my emergency stash in the basement for extreme cold days when I don't want to meander out to the garage where most of the corn is stored!

The old knees just don't climb the steps like they used to so I only fill the 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full. Sooner or later I will be 1/2, but not yet!!
I thought of a dumb waiter style elevator when we stored coal in the basement, never did it though.

I must be fortunate. This summer I'm buying a whole semi truck load of pellets-24 tons @ $160 a ton. My dads the truck driver. Said no charge on the fee... I did some welding on his truck several months ago. Neighbor letting us borrow tractor to unload pellets. Just snagged a JET brand pallet jack off Craigslist for $50. Had a bad hydraulic ram. Fixed it for $20.

I must be fortunate. This summer I'm buying a whole semi truck load of pellets-24 tons @ $160 a ton. My dads the truck driver. Said no charge on the fee... I did some welding on his truck several months ago. Neighbor letting us borrow tractor to unload pellets. Just snagged a JET brand pallet jack off Craigslist for $50. Had a bad hydraulic ram. Fixed it for $20.
Pays to have connections ... you paying Dad for the fuel right? Hoping some of those are for him.... What brand of pellets?

Pays to have connections ... you paying Dad for the fuel right? Hoping some of those are for him.... What brand of pellets?

Well of course I'm paying him for the fuel. They burn a different brand of pellets. All 24 tons are for our household. Seeing as how I travel for work allot, my wife will not have to worry about pellets for a few years. We go through 6-8 tons a winter. Rocky canyon brand.

Reactions: Harmanizer