Oval to round question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowyegret

Sep 25, 2016
Upstate New York
hi everyone. I have an Acme Elm wood cook stove I am looking for an oval to round converter for. The dimensions of the oval are 7 3/4" X 3 1/8". Very unusual dimensions. I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a converter. I did find an 8" X 4" which is the closest I've come. If I go with this one and connect it outside the collar and seal it with wood stove cement, will this work? Thanks everyone

Did you try squishing a piece of standard 6 inch pipe on one end to ovalize it and fit this?

Use a pair of crimpers and crimp that 4 inches down to 3 inches. I bet you could do it then screw it all together and you are good to go. The crimper can be bought cheap at about any hardware store. Just ask someone for them.

Did you try squishing a piece of standard 6 inch pipe on one end to ovalize it and fit this?
Ok your idea is so simple. The circumfrence of my pipe opening is 18.668. The circumfrence of a 6" pipe is 20.812. This leaves 2.14" of extra. Could I crimp that? If so, when you crimp, aren't you suppose to stick the crimped end down into the pipe opening? Thanks

In modern times, yes, the crimped end goes down.

On older setups, it was backwards and an ovalized section of round pipe was meant to simply be squeezed and set over the connection.

The older setups were designed to have a female side of pipe slide over them.

This worked fine, with the exception of occasionally having sooty fluid drip out of the flue pipe through a connection that does not have a crimped end inside and facing down.

Thanks everyone. I think I can get this done. Wish I could find information about this stove. I can find information and pictures on the Acme Triumph, Acme Oak, Acme Ivy, Acme Jewel, Acme Oaknut but not one single word, mention or picture of the Acme Elm. If I didn't have one sitting in my house, I would debate its very existence. Here's a pic of my old girl.

Attachments

• IMG_20160926_145715.jpg
    IMG_20160926_145715.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20160926_145727.jpg
    IMG_20160926_145727.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20160926_145739.jpg
    IMG_20160926_145739.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_20160926_145805.jpg
    IMG_20160926_145805.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 199
Small stove, it may be a laundry stove or one made for work crew cabins. Maybe check to see if your library has a turn of the century Sears catalog that might list it?

Small stove, it may be a laundry stove or one made for work crew cabins. Maybe check to see if your library has a turn of the century Sears catalog that might list it?
I thought laundry stove at first too but laundry stoves don't have ovens and this one does. I had heard that Sears bought the Newark Stove Works sometime around 1905. I don't know if stoves made at Newark still had Newark stamped on them after Sears bought them or not.

Have you contacted any of the antique stove restorers? They may have an old catalog listing this one. Their contact info is online.

Status
Not open for further replies.