Ovalizing a 6'' round S/S Flex liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe245

Oct 21, 2009
SW of Boston
Is this acceptable or is it not commended. I've seen a video where it was done with 2x10 and lightly putting pressure on it to reach to desired oval. I want to insulate but am unable to us the foil faced blanket do to size (ID of flue tile is 7x11.5) I was told that even the mix insulation with 3/4 of inch and since it has an angle the line will probably rest on some of the tile,with zero insulation. I do what to insulate. Which way do I go ? P.S I don't want to break out the tile to get the round to fit

You can buy 6" SS liner that is already ovalized.

PM the userid Magnaflex and see if he has any.

If not, just google "oval chimney liner" or "ovalized chimney liner". But be prepared, it's really expensive... maybe 5x the cost of regular liner.

Thanks jim, yep just pm me and i'll find a solution for you.
CJ-8_Jim said:
You can buy 6" SS liner that is already ovalized.

PM the userid Magnaflex and see if he has any.

If not, just google "oval chimney liner" or "ovalized chimney liner". But be prepared, it's really expensive... maybe 5x the cost of regular liner.

Joe,

Pour in the insulation. just work the liner back and forth a little as it's being poured and the insulation will work in between the liner and tile. Even if it does touch in a spot or two, the contact patch is minimal at best and absolutely nothing to worry about. Remember, you already have tile in there to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.