Overburned the unit last night on accident. Any reason for concern?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j7art2

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2014
Northern, MI
Last night I was trying to get the chill out of the house, and it was only about 29 out, way warmer than the rest of the winter. Long story short, too much wood, and overburned on my thermometer half way into the overburn section. It only lasted probably 20-30 minutes and i immediately cut off almost all air supply to let it die out quickly.

No glowing red pipes or anything like that. I'm not concerned about the unit itself as it's getting replaced in the fall anyway, but more concerned about the chimney. How long does it take to do damage to the clay lining, and how hot does it need to be? I guess this is more of a general wood burning question, but we don't have just a 'general wood burning section' on the forums.

I would say if you didn't set off a chimney fire, your probably ok. The only way to know for sure is have a look down or up that chimney.

Last night I was trying to get the chill out of the house, and it was only about 29 out, way warmer than the rest of the winter. Long story short, too much wood, and overburned on my thermometer half way into the overburn section. It only lasted probably 20-30 minutes and i immediately cut off almost all air supply to let it die out quickly.

No glowing red pipes or anything like that. I'm not concerned about the unit itself as it's getting replaced in the fall anyway, but more concerned about the chimney. How long does it take to do damage to the clay lining, and how hot does it need to be? I guess this is more of a general wood burning question, but we don't have just a 'general wood burning section' on the forums.

A typical clay liner will tolerate 1500* for a short period of time if it's in good shape and installed right.
I doubt you hit that unless you had a full blown chimney fire.

...on the third hand, take a look with a mirror (either in the cleanout or in the thimble-hole) when you get a chance. It's likely fine, at least WRT the one brief overfire, but it's also the case (IME) that stainless just works a heck of a lot better than clay, to the point where I hardly see the point of building a new clay liner chimney these days. The dang things crack eventually even if you baby them...or so it seems to me. Certainly check it out throughly over the summer before putting a new furnace/boiler/stove on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.