Overfired my Orley

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

area_man

Burning Hunk
Feb 12, 2013
Oregon City, OR
I was upstairs when I heard the Clank and smelled something off. When I went downstairs I saw the thermometer laying on the floor and the stove at a faint orange. I immediately cut off the air and aimed a fan at it on high to try to get some heat off it. Within 15 minutes I got it down below 700. Still, I hear that magnets demagnetize at about 1000 degrees. It must have spent at least 15-30 minutes at 1000 or above.

I didn't hear any hard clanking noises or snaps or anything that would indicate broken welds, so there's that. Anything to worry about in the aftermath? I've burned it a couple times since then and everything has been OK.

It still holds wood and burns...

It's easy to do. Try to not let that happen again.

I have A.D.D.......so this kinda thing happens weekly. Its been almost two years now of subjecting the stove to these regular "blushings" and no issues yet.

The Orley is a tough tank. I have seen several that have the paint whited out and they still seem solid.

I was upstairs when I heard the Clank and smelled something off. When I went downstairs I saw the thermometer laying on the floor and the stove at a faint orange. I immediately cut off the air and aimed a fan at it on high to try to get some heat off it. Within 15 minutes I got it down below 700. Still, I hear that magnets demagnetize at about 1000 degrees. It must have spent at least 15-30 minutes at 1000 or above.

I didn't hear any hard clanking noises or snaps or anything that would indicate broken welds, so there's that. Anything to worry about in the aftermath? I've burned it a couple times since then and everything has been OK.

It still holds wood and burns...

I would check for broken welds but other than that it's probably OK. Yes, thermometers lose their magnetizum at about 1000 degrees, that's why they come with screws so you can screw them to the pipe so they don't fall off and burn your carpet.

The Orley is basically a barrel stove with a picture window. It's pretty tough.

The Orley is basically a barrel stove with a picture window. It's pretty tough.

I remember they had a lot of fancy scrolls on them but behind that was just a round barrel. That wasd a long time ago. They must be tough!

Status
Not open for further replies.