Overheat loop design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmudd

Jun 7, 2012
Central MO
I am getting ready to complete my overheat loop. Question on the layout. Most seem to be fin tube oriented horizontally up above the boiler. I was wondering if a vertcal layout such as shown (see crude drawing) using 3/4 fin tube and 1" manifold, supply & return would work or would it be much less effective in dissipation of heat and just another one of my half baked ideas.

Attachments

• Overheat loop.pdf
    13.7 KB · Views: 227
I think with that layout most of the water would go up the left vertical header and across the top piece of finned copper. The lower pieces of finned copper would not see much flow.

Mike, I think you were looking at it sideways - maybe?

The water would likely flow through that arrangement OK - but fintube isn't designed to radiate heat oriented vertically. It would still likely dissipate heat, but I'm not sure it would dissipate much more than bare copper. Well, it likely would, but not near what it would horizontally inside its shell - which is another point, running fintube without it being inside it's cabinet/shell also reduces directed air flow & heat transfer.

Thanks Mike, you must have looked at it sideways. Cause the fin tube runs vertical in the example. I wondered if the dissapation would be diminished in a vertical arrangement.

Thanks Mike, you must have looked at it sideways. Cause the fin tube runs vertical in the example. I wondered if the dissapation would be diminished in a vertical arrangement.

Of course! The fin tube is like a pump. Air between the fins becomes lower density, rises and is replaced by colder air from below the fin tube etc, etc, etc. You would not be utilizing the full fin if mounted horizontally plus heat from the lower fin would be warmer than room air and wouldn't absorb as much heat. The baseboard housing adds some efficiency to them but they work very well without it. Don't hang the tubes tight to the ceiling!

Yep just looked at it again, it opens sideways on my iPad. Should have noticed the writing was sideways too.

I too would be concerned about diminished output due to decreased air flow. Though I'm not sure it would make a big difference. I have not noticed a strong air flow across my overheat loop that is the more traditionally oriented ceiling mount.

I'm going to go kill the power to my boiler to see how much air flow is developed

Status
Not open for further replies.