Overnight burn technique for Englander 28-3500-comments?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I read this over on The Arborist in their wood heating forum:

about 10 or so at night i traditonaly load 3 medium size (for example a 7 inch round x 22-24 inches )in a row on top of a nice thick 2 inch or so bed of coals that accumulated let that burn for 10miuntes so its dry and charred on outside then a get a large bucked in half cherry log approx 15 inches wide 24 inches long (yes i know its big) and place it bark roundish side down ontop of the 3 smaller splits so the flat part of the halved cherry is close up against the baffle now i let that burn with dampers open just a few minutes till its slightly charred and warmed up good ..then i slide the upper damper over to half so its in middle and i then stick a penny against lower screw damper till it screws in and holds the penny against the ash door i then unscrew justa tad to let the penny drop out ,now its ready to rock,..see the splits burn for maybe 2 -2.5 hours slowly drop the cherry down onto the coalbed then the cherry bark underside protects and acts as a insulator for a while too till the fire slowly consumes the cherry dow nto a smallish glowing slab in morning around 7-8 hours later ,this seems to work really well for me and provides just enough air to draw a good steady slow burnrate ,try it and report back

Anybody with a 28-3500 burn like this? I know the underfire control isn't open much, but it makes me a little nervous to leave it open at all overnight with the overfire air at halfway too. I would save some serious hardwood for burns like these (locust/oak)-maybe I should try it on a weekend and see if I can get an eight hour burn during the day first?

that was my post ,i guess it really depends on how your wood your draft and your chimney situation is ,mine i can leave just partialy open with no problem
my advise is try and see how yours responds during the day while your monitoring the temps and such and see if this method will work for you
too much air and it will suck down wood in short time.. too little and fire will choke/smolder and possibly go out ,experimentation is only way youll know how it reacts and will build "trust" for those unattended overnight burns

Status
Not open for further replies.