Overnight Stove Temps Cat vs Non Cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrown56

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 18, 2007
bedford nh
Hi, When I close the stove down for the night, I'm usually running temps in the 500* - 550* range. After a couple of hours the temp drops to 400* - 450* and by morning it is around 250* with plenty of coals for a refill. I'm not complaining as the house is always warm and the stove heats the house really well. My question is, will a cat stove hold the temp longer at the start of the burn resulting in higher temps at the end of the burn.

Jim

Ihave the Defiant NC, When I damper down at night, temps are usually btw 550-650* and it holds around 500-550* during the night. I wake up to 400+ temps usually.

i dont know for sure, but i would think since the cat burns the smoke/gases to increase temps. ...
coals = a temp
coals + reburning gas in cat = higher temp
i am always amazed when i look to see a 2 handfuls of coals and 450-500 top temp...

The CAT will perform in a similar fashion but give you a longer hotter burn cycle before getting to the lower end of the temp range; and will produce fewer coals while doing it.
Having said that, I still like the tube/baffle stoves better...

jbrown56 said:
Hi, When I close the stove down for the night, I'm usually running temps in the 500* - 550* range. After a couple of hours the temp drops to 400* - 450* and by morning it is around 250* with plenty of coals for a refill. I'm not complaining as the house is always warm and the stove heats the house really well. My question is, will a cat stove hold the temp longer at the start of the burn resulting in higher temps at the end of the burn.

Jim

Jim,

How long are we talking about.

I mean some folks can fill their stove at midnight and wake up at 5:00 in the morning and call that an overnight burn.

Really need some times to compare.

I fill my Oslo,2/3 to 3/4 full, around 10:00 get it up to about 500 - 600 and cut the air down around 10:30 or 11:00.

At 6:30 or 7:00 surface temp is 200 - 250 with enough coals to re-start.

I am burning oak and apple.

J.P.

jbrown56 said:

Jim
Jim, that's virtually the same temp profiles I have for my Keystone soapstone cat going an 8 to 10 hour range but my firebox is only 1.5 cubic ft. If the stove had the same size firebox as the Oslo I would think it would be holding warmer temps for much longer.

SmoknJoe, Sorry to take so long to get back. I, like you load at 10p and at 7a the stovetop is at 200* - 250* with plenty of coals to start the fire again. I am totally satisfied with the stove, I was just wondering if there was a big difference between cat and non cat.

Jim

Jim,

Are you filling the stove full, or is there still room?

I don't really think there is much difference in the cat/non-cat performance. At least what I have read here.

Most of the extended performance seems due to folks having good wood and technique.

I am quite satisfied with the Oslo as well.

J.P.

Jim, they are probably similar in burn times but I have no hard facts to base that on. What nobody usually says is how much they burn or how long the fires will last depending upon what the outdoor temperature is. For example, last night we had low temperature in the high 20's and we had plenty of wood left. Get that outdoor temperature down to around zero and then for kicks add in a 20-30 mph wind and I'll guarantee you there would be no wood left in the stove in the morning and very few coals. btw, I usually get up during the night and while up I look at the stove. If it is almost down to coals, I turn the draft up and go back to bed, unless it is a warm night like last night. Then I just go back to bed and leave the stove alone.

I'm hoping that eventually we'll have a stove chart here that lists the cu. ft of the stove, the Total Burn Time (from 200 deg top temp back to 200 degrees, only coals remaining) and the Total Heating Period (how long can it stay above 350 degrees) for each stove. My gut feeling is that the cats will win, but would be pleasantly surprised if another stove like a soapstone won out.

BeGreen said:
I'm hoping that eventually we'll have a stove chart here that lists the cu. ft of the stove, the Total Burn Time (from 200 deg top temp back to 200 degrees, only coals remaining) and the Total Heating Period (how long can it stay above 350 degrees) for each stove. My gut feeling is that the cats will win, but would be pleasantly surprised if another stove like a soapstone won out.
Could be the cat soapstones would win. ;-)

yep, I thought of that. But Gunner, with his 13 hr real heat times has set a high target.

13.5 hr old fire, stovetop is 325

Attachments

• resize1.jpg
    resize1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 364
  • resize3.jpg
    resize3.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 339
15.5 hrs old...coals to spare. Cleaned the glass and raked everything forward.

That is with my wimpy little stove. I think Northof60 would win unless somebody signs up with a King model. If Northern Virgina ever get a real cold snap and BB can let the reins out on the 30 he could be in the running too. :)

Attachments

• resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 341
  • resize2.jpg
    resize2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 320
Thats impressive Gunner. I think that hard wood makes the diff. We are pretty comparable, thats my results @16-18hrs on low,low @22hrs I can still relight with coals stove @ 200 using two 8"rounds one 6" & filler peices but I think your heat output over the durration is going to be better. I really need to try that hard wood. Any doners? :)

P.S. these would be the fall and spring settings for heating the house or used when we are gone for overnight. To heat the house now down to-30C a 10-12hr burn is what I get to keep the furnace off. Any colder as low as a 6 to 8hrs. Lots of those lately. :sick:

north of 60 said:
Thats impressive Gunner. I think that hard wood makes the diff. We are pretty comparable, thats my results @16-18hrs on low,low @22hrs I can still relight with coals stove @ 200 using two 8"rounds one 6" & filler peices but I think your heat output over the durration is going to be better. I really need to try that hard wood. Any doners? :)

Hey north of 60, when running on the low setting, what is the stove temp at the majority of the time, and what are your outside temps at, when you are running at it's lowest? Is the cat running at the 200 degree quoted above? Also, at what outside temp. do you stop burning your stove?

Thanks.

Gunner and N of 60, Those are amazing burn times. The longest I've gone so far is 12 - 14 hrs. with a full load of wood and temps around 30*.

Jim

I'm getting 12 hr give or take an hour burn times with full loads of Oak, 200-250 stove top temp at reload, and a similar amount of coals like Gunner has. If I throw in some big 8" or 9" rounds in the back, I still have coals after 20 hrs, but the stove temp dips under 150. When it's cold like single digits or below I like to burn 8 hr full loads or reload when the stove drops down to 300. I wish my Woodstock had a 3cu ft firebox, I would only have to fill it once a day on an average winter day.

North of 60,
I would love to send you 90lbs of Black Locust just to hear what the Blaze King can do. Too bad shipping would cost an arm and leg.

daleeper said:
north of 60 said:

Hey north of 60, when running on the low setting, what is the stove temp at the majority of the time, and what are your outside temps at, when you are running at it's lowest? Is the cat running at the 200 degree quoted above? Also, at what outside temp. do you stop burning your stove?

Thanks.
Daleeper - on low settings, after 3 hours it settles down to 350 - 400 degrees and finishes at 200 before reloading. The outdoor temperature in degrees Celsius that I still burn @ is probably around +15 degrees C, When that is our daily high. Windows are opening up at that time for sure even on low. Remember that the house has 8" insulated walls and strapped with 2" styro sm and R 48 in the Attic. Check out the thread (Blaze King at idle with secondaries) on page 6 of the HearthRoom that will give you some ideas with outdoor temperature and stove settings. Also a few items back from this one on this thread that you must have missed. Hope this answers your questions.
Thanks Todd , my mother has always said that its the thought that counts. :)
Ya cheap ##%##*** :lol: It would be for the sake of wood burning ya know.

Daleeper - on low settings, after 3 hours it settles down to 350 - 400 degrees and finishes at 200 before reloading. The outdoor temperature in degrees Celsius that I still burn @ is probably around +15 degrees C, When that is our daily high. Windows are opening up at that time for sure even on low. Remember that the house has 8" insulated walls and strapped with 2" styro sm and R 48 in the Attic. Check out the thread (Blaze King at idle with secondaries) on page 6 of the HearthRoom that will give you some ideas with outdoor temperature and stove settings. Also a few items back from this one on this thread that you must have missed. Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks north, I lost track of the other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.